FIllet to Tape to Glass Timing

The manual for my Wood Duck says to prepare for a frew straight hours of work.  It states to fillet the seams, tape the seams, then glass the interior. My question is on the timing.  Due to other commitments I want to fillet, tape, and skim coat with epoxy,  then wait a day or so and do the glass.  What is the minimum and maximum time window?  On Laszlo's site it looks like he waited 24 hours between tape and full glass. Thanks in advance!  Marty

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: FIllet to Tape to Glass Timing

I like to wait until the tape has cured to where I can scrape and sand the selvedge ridge before applying the glass cloth. That's why I had the 24 hour wait.

System 3 says on their website that you can wait up to 3 days between layers of epoxy before needing to sand. I've let it go a couple of days longer when the weather was cold. MAS times are probably pretty close, but check with their tech support for the actual recommended times.

As for minimums, you can do wet on wet, but then there's that ridge. I also find that cloth is a lot easier to handle when you don't have sticky stuff on the target surface.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Laszlo, thank you as always!  You have no idea how much your website has helped me!   

Marty,

That;s very kind of you to say that, glad to be of help,

Laszlo

Laszlo, I scraped the tape ridge tonight.  It was so much easier than I thought it would be.  Then I hit the ridge with a little sand paper.  The ridge is completely gone and the seam transition is perfectly smooth.  THANK YOU!!!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.