Releasing forms on Great Auk Double

We're using a CLC kit. I have a fair amount of wood working experience, but this is first wood strip boat and we're building it without staples. We're about done stripping the hull, and need some advice before we flip it and start on the deck. In the Wood Strip book, he strips the hull, flips it over, strips the decks, planes/sands, glasses the hull, seal coats deck, and lifts the deck off to remove the forms and complete the insides. Seems too simple. 

On the CLC shop tips page, there's a video for releasing forms in staple free construction, where he strips and then flips the hull, pops all the forms lose and then returns them to position prior to stripping the deck.

So a few questions:

Should I try to release the forms from the hull before stripping the deck? I'm a little concerned about being able to release the forms at the stem and stern without damaging them - any thoughts on that?

Once I get to the point of glassing, it seems to me it will be stronger (and less likely to warp or cause damage) if both the deck and hull are glassed (with wax paper in the sheer) prior to trying to pry the halves off the forms and glassing the insides. Is that the best (or at least safest) way to proceed?

Thanks for your thoughts and help/

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Releasing forms on Great Auk Double

i've done strip builts and you are asking good questions....here is my perspective on them:

-- i would release the forms from the hull before stripping the deck.  this does not have to take a long time and i would immediately replace the form on the hulls.  my rationale is that if i am going to have any trouble getting it to release from the forms, i am in a much better place to deal with it before doubling down with a deck that may also be stuck.  whatever i learn in terms of difficulty getting the hull to release can potentially be applied/corrected prior to the starting to strip the deck.

-- tips for releasing the hull.  the most important tip is that the forms should have been taped with packing tape or other easy release tape so that the strips don't stick.  that said, you may have to jiggle/joggle it a bit if you have a lot of excess glue between the strips that have fallen to the forms.  i used an exacto blade to kind of go around all the forms before working the forms off to eliminate as much glue as possible.  if you accidently actually glued the wood to the form.....that is a bigger problem and really depends where the problem occurred with respect to how you will address it.  if its in the center of the boat, for example, its usually pretty easy to carefully slide a knife blade between the form and the strips and easily break them apart without damaging anything.  the ends, are typically trickier becasue of access.

--  glassing.   i try to keep the hull and deck on the forms at all times until they are glassed inside and out.   i usead a sheet of plastic from the home depot to keep my halfs from accidently glueing to one another.  when i glassed the hull and deck, the other half was still on the form.   when i removed a half to glass the inside, as soon as it cured i put it back on the forms until it was hardened completely (several days later).  i used bungees to keep everything tight on the forms at all times.  this way, when i had to actually mate the two halves, there was very little work to get them to mate up properly.

hope that helps

howard

Thanks, Howard. That's the info I was looking for.

Terry, 

one last tip with respect to releasing from the forms.  

when i built my strongback/forms.  i used bolts/screws that basically allowed me to 'release' any single form from the strongback other than the end pieces. (basically i screwed a wood block behind every form into the strongback and screwed the form to the wood block...so if i took the screws out of the block/strongback connection, the form could now slide/was released from the strongback)

when i had a particular issue of sticking, to the extent it was not on the end, i could release the form from the strongback and tap it forward or backward with a hammer to break the form away from the hull.

h  

Thanks again, Howard. I too screwed the forms to the strongback as you describe. I think all the forms except the end should be a piece of cake. I'm a bit concerned about the ends, but I'll see how it goes when I get there. Hopefully that will be this weekend.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.