Tack weld glue

I was reading Nick Schade's book on building strip planked boats and I saw where he uses carpenter's glue for the strips. I wonder if that would work for tack welding a S&G boat. It would be easier to apply than mixing epoxy and filler then putting it into a syringe. You would just squeeze it out from the bottle. I know you can use super-glue for this, but has anyone tried carpenter's glue? 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tack weld glue

My favorite carpenter's glue is titebond iii and I would not use it for tacking panels. It requires smooth well-fitted joints and lots of clamping pressure, as well as taking 24 hours to fully set.

BTW, welding is the process of melting 2 pieces of material and letting them flow together to form a joint. Pretty sure that wood  does not melt, so it's not a weld. Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but my metal shop teacher would roll in his grave if he heard us calling it welding. (Wood shop teacher, too)

Have fun,

Laszlo

In his manual for the G&G Petrel/Petrel Play build, Nick calls for use of CA glue to tack the boat together.  Once the boat is stitched up, you put a dot of CA every inch or so and hit it with accelerant to instantly set the glue.  Then you cut all the fires before fillets.

Epoxy, mixed up like mustard, still kind of runny, in a cheap squirt bottle. Cheaper than the syringes, and you can do a whole boat with only one reload. JRC.   

i would echo jnj's recommendation.

wood glue and epoxy are not compatible...and actually, epoxy does not bond to wood glue any more than it will bond to plastic.

for this particular application, you want thickened epoxy to do the job.  this kind of tacking is not classic wood-to-wood with no gap where wood glue works well.  wood glue in that type of application is far inferior to thickened epoxy so filling a gap like this with wood glue and then epoxying over it would create an inferior joint.

this type of tacking is different than end-glueing strips where there is an expectation of 'no' to absolutely minimal gaps.  in the end-glueing of strips and the later epoxy/glassing of the non-glued edge, there is really no interface or weakening of the epoxy bond becuase the epoxy is mating to the unglued surface and its interface to the wood glued surface is extremely small to non-existent.

hope that helps in understanding why you are getting the recommendations folks are making.

howard

If I was going to tack a S&G boat I'd use epoxy mixed with the epoxy dust. I'd dab it on with an "acid brush". (read cheap throw away) However since I leave the wires in I'm wondering where or why you would "tack" anyway.     

>>However since I leave the wires in I'm wondering where or why you would "tack" anyway.  

Because we're not you and we take the wires out? :-)

Sorry, I love playing with the ambiguities inherent in English.

A bit more seriously, the glue tacks go between the wires. Once the glue is fully cured, whichever kind is used, the wires are cut and removed. Now the absolutely minimally-sized fillets can be used (since they are not covering wires) and the boat ends up lighter with nice smooth fillets.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.