Gaps between panels - should I worry?

Hey Everyone -- I'm in the midst of building a Skerry that I started in the September class, and getting ready for the final coat of epoxy before varnish on the inside.  Checking out last night's progress this morning, the sunlight came through the garage and hit the bow to reveal -- much to my cautious horror, that there are some significant gaps between the panels that are now well ensconced in fiberglass, but that lack the peanut butter filler.  Structurally, I think it's sound, but I am compelled to grind it out and fill it in before the final coats go on.  The outside still needs 2-3 coats of epoxy before paint.  

What do you think?  

Matt

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Gaps between panels - should I worry?

Fiberglass cloth well wet out with resin will let plenty of light through so it's plenty water tight. If you're going to paint one side or the other the gap will disappear. If you have just now discovered it then it must not be very noticeable anyway. I wouldn't worry about it. 

I'm in about the same stage of building my Northeaster Dory. . . . I'm going to be cautious not to let any morning light shine on my bow!

Thanks, that was the sort of sanity check I was hoping for!  My only worry was whether there might actually be a void between the panels -- but even if there were it would be sandwiched between two layers of cloth on the outside and one on the inside.  And yes, paint on the outside, bright on the inside.

Thanks!

Matt

As previously stated that small of a gap with clear epoxy on the inside and 2 layers of glass is plenty strong. Even peanut butter lets some sunlight through. If you must fix it, do yourself a favor and work from the outside. Good luck JRC

Same thing with my skerry.  It has to do I think with the cutout they are putting in the last few inches of the planks to provide relief when pulling the ends together.  I actually planed the gains into the ends as described in the manual, but later got info from CLC that with the new notches, the gains weren't as necessary.  I saw it before getting the final coats on, so troweled in some more fillet mix and sanded smooth before finishing.  I'm painting inside and out, so shouldn't notice any of the gap, and with layers of cloth, I don't see it failing.

Light does not necessarily mean the material is missing, or thin just translucent.  S&G is not and exact science in milled wood joints. Use a calibrated finger and check the joint for serious dips, thinness. Fill as needed. Likely you'll be able to do that in the later coats of glass and epoxy.    

Those are actually some good looking joints, if you ask me.  Bright sunlight on the far side will make even the tiniest gaps look bigger.  Like everyone else said (slightly paraphrased): don't worry, be happy.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.