dory transom

Why am ihaving so much trouble installing the transom on my ne dory? The hull panels seem to take too much force to pull together to the transom, the wires keep breaking or the holes tear out, I've even pulled out the rear bulkhead

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: dory transom

I've installed a few Dory transoms and they can be a bit tricky. The first thing you need to do is put that rear bulkhead back in. You're going to have to put in some extra wires and it's also a good idea to drill the holes in the transom about 1/4" from the edge to keep them from pulling thru. If you haven't done so already, bevel the bottom edge of the transom to fit the bottom panel. Then wire it tightly to the bottom. Start from the bottom and put in the top wire on Panel #1. Then drill a hole in the #1 panel about in the middle and a matching hole in the transom. Wire that tight. Let the panel hang past the transom, the top edge will be just past the transom. Once you're happy with that panel do the same with the #2 panel. And so on.... You will need at least one extra wire in the middle of each panel, sometimes another near the top to hold it in place. An extra pair of hands will make it a much easier job but it is possible to do it by yourself. Don't be afraid to use as many extra wires as you need to get the panels fair. 

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.