Skerry registration in NJ?

Hello,

I've started building a Skerry here in NJ.  We've just finished the easy and non-messy part: wiring together the hull.

I'm trying to figure out how to properly register and title this boat in NJ. Has anybody here dealt with that before?  I have a HIN number on the invoice from CLC, but no other paperwork.  Would that be sufficient if I took it to the motor vehicle office?  Or would I have to go through the full procedure for momebuilts, which involves an inspection I believe...

Thanks,

Doug

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry registration in NJ?

Mr. Google says:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/VehicleBoats.htm

Note - non-motorized dinghies do not need to be registered. Can you convince the watercop that the Skerry is a dinghy?

Laszlo

It seems that registering it is not too complicated.  It's getting a title that could be a bit trickier:

In order to use New Jersey waterways, all boats more than 12 feet in length must be titled at a Regional Service Center or MVC Agency. The only exceptions are: ship's lifeboat, canoe, kayak, inflatable boat, surfboard, rowing scull, racing shell and tender/dinghy used solely for direct transportation between a vessel and shore.

The upside of a title is that it's a one-time fee, and it's good forever.

Doug

When I went to register my boat in Washignton DC, they wanted a title.

They agreed that if I could show them that I build it (and therefore it had not existed somewhere else beforehand) they would issue me a new title for the boat.

I typed up a paragraph explaining that I built it, and printed out some digital photos of the build. Took the paper to a notary. The marine police were satisfied enough to assign me a hull id number and prepare a title.

I just registered and titled my Peeler skiff in NJ.  To obtain the title, NJDMV will have to give you a new HIN, the CLC one doesnt matter, bring it anyway though.  Get the title forms from them and then make an appointment with the Marine Police, they will have to sign off on all the paperwork.  They want copies of your reciepts, a brief description of the boat and how it was built, some photos of the process.  Bring the boat to them, it will be the highlight of their day and they will sign everything.  Then just go to a DMV office and you will get a new title,  Its easy.  If you dont put a motor on your Skerry, you could probably skip the registration.

I finished my Dory in June and knew that I would want to launch it from different municipal ramps on LBI. Each requiring a ramp fee and proof of registration. I found the process easy because I obtained the preliminary forms and had them with me @ DMV. I used the HIN given by CLC, put it on the transom and inside the hull. The other sticker CLC provided was the passenger and equipment weight. I took the boat to the local State Marine Police office in Waretown. They ran the HIN and provided me the required OS/SS-10A form for DMV. I had a notorized statement about construction, the manual, certificate of authenticy from CLC,  and original purchase receipt.(I didn't take all the receipts for the little stuff). The Marine Police officer marveled at the workmanship, was extremely polite and completed the HIN investigation while I waited. The only conflict I ran into was at DMV. It seemed to be a matter of interpration. I thought the boat was home built since I made it, but they said it was manufactured because it was a kit with an assigned  manufactures HIN. Anyway they are right, I got the title, registraion number paid the tax all in 1 trip to DMV. That in itself was an accomplishment. I didn't think twice about the title tax. To me it was the right thing to do. Good luck with the build and registraion process if you choose to do it. Dan

Thanks, this answers all my questions:

I just registered and titled my Peeler skiff in NJ.  To obtain the title, NJDMV will have to give you a new HIN, the CLC one doesnt matter, bring it anyway though.  Get the title forms from them and then make an appointment with the Marine Police, they will have to sign off on all the paperwork.  They want copies of your reciepts, a brief description of the boat and how it was built, some photos of the process.  Bring the boat to them, it will be the highlight of their day and they will sign everything.  Then just go to a DMV office and you will get a new title,  Its easy. 

I'm not sure I'd call that "easy" though...

The part about the HIN is important:  I was considering carving the CLC-supplied one onto the daggerboard trunk.

I guess I can put all this off until the boat is actually built (and I get a trailer for it).

Doug

The plot thickens:

I used the HIN given by CLC, put it on the transom and inside the hull. The other sticker CLC provided was the passenger and equipment weight. I took the boat to the local State Marine Police office in Waretown. They ran the HIN and provided me the required OS/SS-10A form for DMV. I had a notorized statement about construction, the manual, certificate of authenticy from CLC,  and original purchase receipt.(I didn't take all the receipts for the little stuff).

I am wondering:  what exactly is the "certificate of authenticity from CLC"?

Also, if you had first gone to the DMV with the paperwork, might they have given you a title without the Marine Police getting involved, as if you had bought a new manufactured boat?

Doug

I brought the CLC HIN # with me to the DMV but they said that they needed to do a brand new one from NJ to use on the title.  Maybe because that is where I built it?  IDK. No big deal.  I was happy that I didnt carve the CLC HIN number into my hull.  Not sure what the authenticity thing is.  I just brought my kit receipt and because I had nothing better to do at work one day, made a spreadsheet of all of my expenses from sandpaper to the motor, which turned out to be mind blowing!  It helped when I went to get insurance though.  And, hey, its NJDMV, so just bring an extra 50.  You can get anything you want with that!  When you call the marine police bureau, ask if they have all the forms you need for the title, they might even be online.  That would save a trip to the DMV zoo.  The longest part of the process was hanging out at the Marine Police while eveyone was checking out the new boat.  And that is a good point about getting a registration number for ramp permits.  I have a permit for the Rumson ramp and I dont remember them requiring that, but its been a few months.  I would argue that its a permit for your vehicle to use the ramp to launch any boat you want not just one specific boat.  So, check with the town that you will be launching at.

I just called CLC and asked for the certificate and they mailed it to me. I had the experience of a peeler builder in the next town describe the DMV process so that is what I went on and was successful. I tend to think that each DMV office could be different with how they interpret the process. The Manahawkin office was very interested in the Marine Police HIN investigation report before they would title the boat.

I forgot to mention that I used my home computer and printer to make a HIN decal which I put under the glass on the transom and inside the bow. I used something like ricepaper which turned transparent when soaked in epoxy and only the black bold font letters/numbers showed thru. It was only 1/4" x 2".  I never thought that DMV would not use the number. If they didn't allow that number it was still going to be there anyway.

You might want to call the agency that licenses/registers boats and see what they require for home built boats. I wouls also bring in the parid receipts for the major purchases needed to build the boat so they can see that you actually bought the parts. If it was built from plans also bring along the plans you used.

You might want to call the agency that licenses/registers boats and see what they require for home built boats. I wouls also bring in the parid receipts for the major purchases needed to build the boat so they can see that you actually bought the parts. If it was built from plans also bring along the plans you used.

My Skerry build is coming along nicely, and I now have a NJ title (and registration) for it in hand.
Here is what I did:

1:  I called CLC and said I needed "A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin" for my boat, so I could title it in NJ.  They promptly mailed it out to me.  This document had a HIN,  description of the boat (sail, wood, 15 feet long) and said that it had been sold to me, for a certain price.  It was an "original" document: signed and dated.  They also included a second copy of the invoice.

2: I took this (along with the original invoice and construction manual)  to the Motor Vehicles office, and filled out the application forms for a title and registration.  The person at the counter had to consult with others, and eventually decided that the MCO (and invoice) were sufficient.  She needed to know the "fuel type".  I replied "wind", and she gave me a dirty look.  The choices were "gasoline", "diesel", and "other", so we went with "other".

3: I paid about $160 (bummer), which included the one-time title fee ($60), one year's registration (only $10 for the next 11 months), and sales tax (which I had not paid to CLC).

4:  The printed out and gave me the title (with the CLC-issued HIN), a registration card, and a pair of decals to be stuck on the boat once it is finished.  They kept all the MCO and invoice documents that CLC had mailed me.

All of this took only about 20 minutes from the time I walked in.  They did not bring up anything about having the boat inspected by the Marine Police, but then I let the MCO document do the talking, and did not utter the words "kit" or "homebuilt"...

Doug

Congratulations on dealing with DMV. I'll remember your experience and keep my words limited next time I go. I hoping to build a SW dory and sell my NE dory. Dan

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.