Glue question about Northeaster Dory build

I'm coming along with my Northeaster Dory kit, but I'm beginning to be pretty sure that I will run out of Cell-O-Fill with some bits of glueing still to be  completed. Can I use sawdust as a thickener for the rails (not the scarfs in the rails), the daggerboard, and the rudder? Or should I hold off and buy another quart of Cell-O-Fill?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Glue question about Northeaster Dory build

Buy some more cell o fil.  Makes a nice smooth mix.  You'll need it again anyway.  Have fun with your build!

Yes, you can use wood flower to glue on the rails. You also use it to glue up everything else. The down side is it will leave a dark brown glue line. I prefer silica for glueing up so I'd get some of that to finish the glue ups. Dries more clear than the cell-o-fill. I know some guys who use nothing but wood flour for everything on a build. All their boats float. 

George K

Thanks to both of you. It's nice to know I can use wood flour and it's also nice to know about the dark line. I'm not yet sure what I'll do, but I think that line could be a nice feature on the rails.

The boat is coming along really well. I guess that's what you get with a well-designed kit.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.