epoxy on wood deck 10

I built a wood deck 10. The hall turned out nice but I am not happy with the hybrid deck. I have small white dots showing through the epoxy in some place's. I assume that is a lack of resin. This is the second time this has happend. I sanded the deck to bare wood and reglassed it. As I started to light sand the the deck I started to see the spots. When I reglassed the deck I thought I thoroughly soaked the cloth and thoroughly squeegeed it. Would appreciate any help. Hopefully I will not havt to sand the deck down again. Thanks Rob Z

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: epoxy on wood deck 10

Wow, I can't wait to see your build pics!  I've never seen a DIY boat with a deck big enough to need a hall.  For future reference, the nautical term is "companionway." (kidding!  couldn't resist having fun with typos)

Regarding the white spots, I had a similar problem.  In my case, they turned out to be tiny spots of unfilled glass that filled up with white dust upon sanding.  Many disappeared with aggressive use of a shop vac.  Others, I drilled out with a dental burr on a Dremel Tool and refilled with clear epoxy.  This would only be practical for a limited number of spots.

Hooper Williams

Brevard, NC

If it is just dust in a small hole, try wetting it with a sponge or damp cloth. If it goes away the next coat of epoxy or varnish should eliminate it.

It could be that after filling the weave, if the temperature in the shop was rising some bubbles form which get caught in the epoxy.  Nick has a video about using a hair dryer to break any small bubbles in the epoxy while it is still wet.  

A picture might help others figure out what went wrong.

PS. It will not make a bit of difference in how the boat floats but after all the work I appreciate wanting it to look "right".  My boats are full of flaws, drips, scratches, etc but I frankly do not care.  I wanted to get on the water too badly to make it better.

People still stop me every time I try to launch to say how beautiful it looks.

Ed

Yes, pictures will go a long way to helping us help you diagnose the problem. 

If they are really small and they showed up only after some sanding, I suspect they are air bubbles that were beneath the surface of the epoxy and sanding broke through to them (similar to what the other's are saying).  If that is the case, the next coat of epoxy should fill them. 

I am also with Ed that you may just have your nose too close to your work and may be obsessing over minute flaws that nobody else is going to notice.  Plenty of times I have gotten worked up over some imperfection and walked away, had a beer and came back, then said to myself, "that looks pretty damn good" and moved on.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.