Building the Petrel Play with flush forward hatch

This is applicable to anyone who's built a plywood version of one of Nick Schade's Petrels, opting for a flush foredeck hatch rather than the recessed Sea-lect option. I am having a brain cramp for some reason, and wavering before cutting up this nice-looking sapele deck piece I got. Even though it's not nearly as complicated a construction as the recessed hatch, the build book does not hold my hand through the process and for some reason this makes me terrifically squirrelly. One would have had to have built from plans, I think, and specifically, my uncertainty has to do with the unusual way the foredeck is to be cut out on one side, beveled, and stitched back together. At some point the hatch may also be cut in the pieces before or after the pieces are cut out and the spacer and sills put in...I'm having one of these brain cramps. Anyone built a Petrel or a Play from plans with a flush foredeck hatch? It could be just a few words or photos could make a huge difference!

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Building the Petrel Play with flush forward hatch

OK, first take a deep breath and relax :-)

Next, even though in my case it was a WD12 design by Eric instead of a Petrel designed by Nick, the process is not that different and I have pictures and a description at my WD12 build website. It's also a sapele deck, it's also bevelled on the edges and it also needs the hatch cover cut out of it.

The hatch cutting happens after the initial stitching together of the boat. If you use unpowered tools (I used an exacto knife and a bonsai saw) and work towards accuracy instead of speed, you can catch and correct any mistake before it becomes visible on the finished product.

Larger pictures here.

Lots of people have done this, you can too. Don't worry, have fun.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.