Where do I get french lug rig for sherry?

I am thinking of purchasing a used sherry that comes with just the rowing setup and I wish to fit her out with french lug rig (longer boom) as shown in a few of the photos on the CLC site.  Where do I get this rig?  Any experience sailing her with the french lug?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Where do I get french lug rig for sherry?

I'm in the same boat (so to speak): a Skerry for which I'd like to get a French lug rig (sail and spars). There are videos showing them going like smoke! Is there no source in the United States?   

I don't know about the French Lug rigs, but I have found another option.  There is a company called Really Simple Sails that is affiliated with Austrailian designer Michael Storer.  They sell an 89 sqft balanced lug for his Oz Racer that has been successfully installed on a NE Dory.  Details here:  http://reallysimplesails.com/a-bigger-inexpensive-sail-for-john-lizardis-clc-northeaster-dory/

I will be ordering a Skerry with sloop rig the end of the month.  I will likely add a lug rig later for more recreational/raid type sailing events.

As a follow-up to this, I was on the phone with CLC this week regarding an oversized lug.  The gent on the phone spoke to John H who said that the French Lugs are the same size as the standard, but they use different mast and spars.  I have pretty much decided to build the sloop version for racing and also buy the lug rig for non-competative an/or raid sailing.  I will probably change my mind 17 time between now and next month when I order the kit.      

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.