NanoShip Update August 2015

Today was Day One of our NanoShip project at the WoodenBoat School. This is a new design under development at CLC; there's a bit more about it here if you missed the article an issue or two back in Small Craft Advisor magazine.

NanoShip

Our own Jay Hockenberry built this precise 50% scale model of the 13-foot NanoShip, here showing its fetching lines to good effect. Just needs some R/C outfitting to make a hilariously fun sailing model.  But onwards to the full-sized article...

NanoShip

This is a 13-foot water-ballasted lugger, which includes an auxiliary outboard hidden behind the raked transom. 

NanoShip

Prepping bulkheads on the router table.

NanoShip

As many components as possible are pre-coated with epoxy before assembly, to be sanded smooth before they are installed in the hull.

NanoShip

The sole of the self-bailing cockpit is fiberglassed on the bench.

NanoShip

Laminating the centerboard. We call this "hillbilly vacuum-bagging."

NanoShip

Laminating the six-foot bowsprit. We routed a hollow in each half because, well, why not? We're having fun here at the WoodenBoat School.

NanoShip

The nascent hull assembly, with the garboards in place and two of the bulkheads.

Further updates this week whenever I can grab a few minutes.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NanoShip Update August 2015

John,

Do you have any other pictures?

Jeff

Update #2 is here.

Update #3 is here.

Update #4 is here.

The boat's now back at CLC.  Our shop is crowded with development projects and I'm not sure when we'll get this one to the finish line, but everyone who's seen it is very excited and we're looking forward to a launch ASAP.

CLC NanoShip

Thanks.  Although I am not a FB fan I have seen those.  I was hoping for still more.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.