New Annapolis Wherry build with a couple questions

15 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: New Annapolis Wherry build with a couple questions

[URL=http://s94.photobucket.com/user/ddeaton2/media/IMG_4261_zpsnhw5ctdn.jpg.html][IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/ddeaton2/IMG_4261_zpsnhw5ctdn.jpg[/IMG][/URL] 

Sorry, tried to add a pic and dont have it figured out yet. 

I am ready to start mixing epoxy and have a couple questions.

The instruction manual is a little grey starting here. It says to mix a batch and start spreading inside the transom and bowstem .

Flip over and make sure it is straight. Next start filling the outside laps. After talking with the fellows at the Wooden Boat Show (great group), I should start with the syringe and apply some beads between the wires low enough to come back after wires are clipped and finish with a good fillet?

I assume we clip the transom and stem wires after the first and final fillet is applied? Will the wires pull out through the thick fillet ok?

It is hot here now and I want mix small batches to keep it workable. I cannot say enough how nice this kit is cut. Really going well so far!

Wires and screws will come out easily if you heat them with a soldering iron first. I also found that it was helpful to use the next heavier gauge of wire in some places where I kept breaking the regular stuff, that usually pulls out w/o breaking. 

Yeah ddeaton, that P'bucket link's got something awry all right! Won't work even when copied & pasted into a browser. Sure would like to see your pic though, I have an urge to be ordering up a wherry kit myself for a winter's project.

Hot where I am too! Epoxy's something I'd leave for cooler weather, or mix in [i]Very Small[/i] batches. The soldering gun idea's good, lots less fussy than trying to work around wires.... As for heavier wire: what's the gauge of wire in the kit? 14's what I'd grab myself (0.0641" or a hair fatter than 1/16") were I building from scratch. Use 12 (0.0808") & I'd worry about splitting parts when drawing it tight.

Please try the link again or send me your e-mail address via the messaging feature here & I'll reply with mine, then you can e-mail the pic & I'll get it posted here somehow for all of us to enjoy.

http://www.clcboats.com/builders_club/search/

- is the only way I can find where one forum member can contact another off-forum. Need to pick a kit of interest then search by proximity to your location. Good idea if you're looking to see a project in person that's close by; I found an Annapolis Wherry builder ~ 30 miles from me by this method.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/ddeaton2/IMG_4258_zpsvrwbzkrt.jpg

wire with kit is 18 gauge, cant crank too hard on it. Everything seems to be pulled up pretty tight though. Transom was a little tough to pull into shape, but I think it looks good.

I am going to epoxy the inside stem and transom first, then flip it over to check for twist.

OK that last link worked. That your shop or were you taking a class of some kind?

I looked beyond the boat pics too... it seems we share other interests also. 

thats my barn, and yes, I have too many hobbies and not enough time.

Think I got the pic thing figured out. Can we edit our posts?

Pulling wires tonight!  

Good on the pictures front! Glad to see updates on your project... makes me just a teensy bit jealous.... As for editing post? No, I don't think that's a feature here, at least I haven't figured out how yet.  

When I built my Skerry I tacked between the wires leaving enough room to fill after the wires were removed. It was surprisingly strong. I did leave in a couple of wires at the bow and stern then press them down on the inside and cover with the filet. The wire is soft enough to sand down the nubs on the outside.  

I am going to lay out the fiberglass tonight, dont know the measurements of the piece they include. I assume it is long enough to cut the bottom piece the full 18' length and get the other sections from the sides of this cut. I need to think about ordering some paint! I didnt think I would have this much time to work on it. Going a lot faster than I expected. Rowing seat is on backorder also. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.