What is the line and clamp for on tiller extension

Sent out message earlier with no response so thought I would try again. 

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: What is the line and clamp for on tiller extension

No sure exactly which post you are refering to, but it sounds like a tiller tamer. You get set up on your desired course, clamp the line, and you can do other things for short periods of time. The clamp is not strong to prevent desired movement of the tiller, simply to hold it in relatively calm conditions. JRC   

���Are you talking about the black line that comes with the dory kit and the jam cleat shown on page 120 of the instructions? It joins the tiller extension to the tiller yoke..is that what you are referring to?

The line I am referring to secures the tiller extension to the yoke and then runs through the jam cleat. Based on above answer you clamp the line but  how is that going to hold a coarse unless the extension is tied to a cleat?

The instructions say to tie a stopper knot in one end of the line, feed the line up thru a hole in the end of the yoke, then thru a hole in the end of the tiller extension, then cleat it off.  The idea being that the tight line keeps the two pieces together yet can pivot.  It also can be removed when putting the boat away.   This seems to work well for a good number of dory builders.

Personally I dont like jam cleats and wanted a more positive connection so after different trial methods, I now use a swivel bracket designed specifically for this purpose.   See a thread here in the builders forum subject: "Tiller Extension Swivel By Racelite Worked GREAT On My Dory"

Note:  If you do not have a removable yoke that can be removed from the rudder, you can just remove the O-ring and pin in the swivel to remove the tiller extension from the yoke when putting the boat away or you could even use a quick pin.

Curt

Great answer. I will copy your setup. I see you still have a line at end of tiller extension. This must be just to keep extension from going into the water, or have you had success in tying off and staying on course. Seems I have to make to many small adjustments to tie off. But maybe I am over steering. 

Most dory builders do use a lanyard to be able to retrieve the tiller extension when it goes overboard.  I wanted a short lanyard but still wanted to be able to make a hard port turn as needed so used some shock cord...see below

https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE&feat=directlink#6174096868871697234

You can also scroll forward and back from that link to see pics and captions of a tiller extension clamp set up I did that is not elegant but it works

Thanks again. My to do list for this winter is growing. Graphite bottom, paint hull white, redo entire rudder - tiller extension setup, fancy up the rails and purchase and install sloop sail upgrade kit. 

Drew

Sorry for the confusing info above. Tiller tamers would run side to side. Good luck. JRC   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.