NE Dory Mod #3 Hands free tiller extension "clamp"

NE Dory Mod #3  Hands free tiller extension "clamp"

I've seen comments here on the builders forum wishing there could be a way to fix the tiller extension while sailing to use both hands for something else like take a picture or open a cooler.  I've also seen cautions that you don't really want to firmly affix the tiller extension for safety reasons.   I think I have a good compromise solution that just pops in and out with no securing, threading, or moving parts.

I mounted a rubber (we know the plastic ones break) "clamp" pad on a block on my inner rail like this:

Note that the tiller extension sits wide side vertically due to the swivel bracket on the rudder. But actually that works out fine...to clip it in loosely roll the block up and fit the wide side into the clamp or roll down onto the side like in the picture for a tighter fit...yours would be backwards of this if using the stock cord arrangement to link the rudder and tiller extension.

Or go to the photo journal to see the full write up on this and the two previous pictures too, and the illustration of my bungee loaded tiller extension lanyard.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w3zhPcJ3Gn9duKvskUg3djFolq1y-t7pqfyiNmzJPv8?feat=directlink

Source for rubber "clamp":
 http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/misc/sd491341-53/

Curt

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory Mod #3 Hands free tiller extension "clamp"

Curt, nice coincidence,

I just made the same mod at the tiller of my skerry (also works with a duck rubber clamp). I attached it with one of the oarlockscrews.

Since then I have been only 1 time sailing with too much wind to try it.
How is your experience, do you use it often?

Ruud

Interesting!   When the wind was not too gusty I was able to leave it in most of the time, wind was off my stbd quarter so when surfing a little, I only had to adjust a half inch or so leaving it in the clamp, when rowing, left it in all the time, and when beating dead into a nasty sea gusting 25 I kept in in my hand the whole time and didnt use it at all,

How firmly does yours grab the stick?

Curt

When rowing, I too have it in there all the time. I suppose I can use it well with not too much wind and no gusts when sailing.
The tiller is elliptical in cross-section. Narrow section in the clamp > less grip (tiller can move fairly easily); wide section in > very firm grip (tiller can not to move backwards).

It is  difficult to get in the tiller in in the latter case. I'm still experimenting with the precise shape of the tiller (i even did not epoxie it yet).

The tape indicates the place where the rudder is straight.

Ruud

"  Narrow section in the clamp > less grip (tiller can move fairly easily); wide section in > very firm grip (tiller can not to move backwards).  "

Agreed....I intended my rubber clamp to sit up on the top of my inner rail but it rolled onto the inside of the inner rail, so I actually ended up with a situation where I can clamp it either place, and depending on where the oars are that's actually a handy feature, plus the two grip tensions, one more than the other is handy...I was going to resecure it so it sat on top of the rail but now that I know I like the dual position as a benefit, I'll be leaving it as-is

Curt

Curt and Ruud, Thanks for sharing your info on the rubber Duckworks clamp for the the tiller extension.

Curt, since I do not have the beautiful inner rails that you added to your NE Dory, I made an attachment to my stern oarlock station.  I used some scrap wood pieces from the seats to attach the rubber clamp.  I am always looking for improvements that do not require drilling more holes!

I will not be able to get the tighter grip on the extension with this position, but I mainly need the clamp for rowing in and out from the dock when sailing.

Thanks again!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.