Shearwater Sport from Plans

I started the Shearwater sport from plans in January. Bought the wood and cut out the pieces and stiched it together. The temperature dropped so I started again in April. The pieces fit well and when I attached the deck to the hull,it only needed a 1/8 trim off the stern to fit properly. The hull was even , no twisting needed, and the fit was good. The boat was finnished in Mid June. Launch day was windy but the grandchildren and family were gathered. We toasted with some sparkling fruit juice set the boat in the lake. She paddle well even in the crosswind and waves. The odd wave was over the bow. Handled well straight and turning. The grandchildren had a blast being pushed around near the shore also. I took it for a paddle again on the weekend for several hours and was comfortable. It paddled well in a current as well . What a great design, Thanks CLC

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater Sport from Plans

Just to add to this , the flush mount hatches were done as per instructions. I used bungee  cord to hold in place from inside the hull ( no toggles). When I tried to remove them after sitting on the roof racks for 4 hrs and the temperature had dropped, both hatches has developed a vacuum and were like opening a vaccuum package and yes the water tight compartments were completely dry

All the best just buid and post soempics after you completed. Having built a Wood Duckling, I really fancied my own kayak. I wanted a hybrid, seaworthy, and no longer than the cellar, so when the Shearwater Sport kit came available, that was the one.

All the crucial prep work done now - a radiator in the cellar, extra lighting, and a thermometer. Time to open the boxes.

Here it is just before fiberglass and epoxy   

Here is the shearwater sport after final varnish  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.