Northeaster Versus Oselver

I was all set to build a Northeaster Dory with lug sail option. Then I stumbled across a "cheap" 17 1/2' Oselver. Never heard of one until today.

It's proported to be made from mahoganoy and red oak (I couldn't tell). It's obviously used but it looks rather repairable. Hasn't been in the water in 5 years and no salt. It was probably properly stored. Whomever made it went old school with copper nails and everything. It's not painted, could use a bit of sanding and varnish, I saw no fiberglass, and no plywood. It needs some TLC, there are leaks on a butt joint and other spots, it comes with a trailer (that's crap), sails (look good), plain oars, etc...

I'm tempted to go for it on the theory that it'll take less time and money to fix leaks and revarnish the hull than build from scratch. Is that foolish?

Also how does an Oselver compare to a Northeaster Dory in terms of what it can do? I'm kinda freaked out that it has no daggerboard, just a hefty keel. It looks tough and it's complete and cheap. There's no hit of rotten wood or moldy sails... beyond that I can't say much.

I'm planning for freshwater large lake camping & fishing. 1-2 Passengers.

Any advice is welcome. I probably ought to buy it or walk asap.

Thanks.

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Versus Oselver

SomeBoatGuy,

I would suggest that you take into account the ongoing maintenance requirements of a traditionally-built wooden boat versus that of a modern sitich-and-glue boat.  The traditionally-built boat is high maintenance (hence its reduced price) and an epoxy-encapsulated plywood boat is as low maintence as it possible to make a wooden boat.  Do you want to own the boat or do you want the boat to own you?

Cheers,

Dick

>>Do you want to own the boat or do you want the boat to own you?

Like there's a choice?

RE: Northeaster Versus Oselver (Faering)

Avoiding hassles is wise counsel. So of course I ignored it. I brought her home. The boat was just so damn pretty and I'm so foolishly optimistic.

It definitely needs TLC. Now I'm desperately searching for information. Possibly a book(s) titled "So You Bought A Clinker Boat With Copper Nails: A Survival Guide" or "Man Up And Fix That Leak The Viking Way" or "Oakum and Other Forms of Dark Magic: A Guide For Dummies".

Other details, it's (I think) a Faering (I presume Oselver to be a subset of Faerings) and yes it does leak.  I was super confident when I thought "leak" meant "epoxy the hell out of it and go fishing". Now I realize that life is more complex and I won't be able to rely on space age chemistry.

What's next? Any advice is appreciated.

Someboatguy,

Don't let the nay sayers get you down.  If you do your homework and do a proper restoration you will have a wonderful boat.  Keeping up a traditionally built boat isn't a fulltime job.   

Please post some pictures of your project.

Jack

SomeBoatGuy,

Where are you located?  (thinking if by chance any boat builders or good marine repair shops are near you for "coaching" or classes).   

Also, I have found the customer service folks at paint/varnish compaines like Interlux and Pettit to be very knowledgeable and very willing to help talk through application questions.

And you likely already know about another resource, The WoodenBoat Forum

Agree with Jack that we will like to see your pics before you start and as you progress!

Curt

I think that Oselver (or Oselvar) refers to the part of Norway where that type of Faering was built.

I too was seduced by a Faering. I took the easy way out though, and built a CLC kit (referred to as Hull #3 here http://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boats-blog/two-faerings-for-sail-and-oar-chesapeake-light-craft-faering.html). Having no boat building experience nor much of any experience with epoxy, but quite a bit of woodworking experience, I was guardedly optimistic. With lots of encouragement and advice from John H., it turned out fine. The boat floats, rows nicely, and sails better than my skills can take advantage of.

As you said, they're so damn pretty. Best of luck with your restoration!

SomeBoatGuy,

I've fallen for a pretty boat and a pretty face before.  I'm glad I've outgrown the habit.  It can be expensive.

In the 1980s, I built an Amesbury Skiff---clinker-built with copper clench nails.  I was lucky to have had plenty of guidance from people who knew how.  It was fun and pretty, but far too much maintenance over the following years.  I gave it away to friends.

This is probably not the best forum for traditional boatbuilding techniques.  You'd be better off looking at the forums at WoodenBoat Magazine.  They also have an excellent bookstore with many of the titles you'll need.  Most of us in this forum have chosen modern techniques that overcome many of the difficulties that you will face.

Here's a link you might find useful: https://books.google.com/books?id=m-a8viwFFRsC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=building+traditional+lapstrake+boats&source=bl&ots=Do356A33Kr&sig=Q4CSS_xb5iQ5AGRPF2UXrxWZL_M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=esqdVYDMCYu4-AHxvYeYBg&ved=0CF8Q6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=building%20traditional%20lapstrake%20boats&f=false

Cheers and best wishes,

Dick

Years ago I had a boat in a slip in Barnegat Light, NJ and in the spring at the beginning if boating season a guy shows up at the marina in a slip right next to me in an old wooden clinker built boat which he had just bought. The thing had been stored on land for several years and it leaked like a screen door. His bilge pumps were running constantly but he obviously knew what to do.  He had a bucket of sawdust and every half hour or so would take a coffee can full of that sawdust and walk around the boat sprinkling it into the water. He explained that the water would not only swell the boats planking but the sawdust would be drawn in and fill the cracks. Well. it worked and his bilge remained bone dry for the summer. I imagine that was a spring ritual for as long as he owned the boat. Yes, they're a lot of work but there is really no comparison between a wood and a plastic boat. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.