Peeler Skiff Completed

I have really enjoyed and benefitted from using this forum.  Any time I had a question, I posted to this forum and within hours had valuable information that enabled me to move along with confidence.  I have now finished my Peeler Skiff.  Started in mid-January (2015).  Logged 300 hours on the build.  Launched it today on the James River here in Richmond.  The motor is in its break in phase, so I didn't really open it up. The boat handles well with a 15 hp Yamaha with electric start and an electric tilt/trim unit.

Special thanks to Surfer Bill on the decorative cove on the wale strake suggestion to break the cove to allow a flat spot for the State registration decal and numbers.  I hope this shows up in the pictures that I plan to attach, if I am able to figure it out.

Also Dick Dowdell helped on the order of operations and glassing the bottom.  Wing 15601provided valuable information on glassing the bottom. His link to a video about smoothing and letting the glass cloth rest overnight was really helpful.  It made the second glassing of the bottom amazingly easy.

Suggestions for turning the skiff helped too.  I have a chain hoist on the "I" beam in my garage.  I could use one yellow nylon web strap and turn it easily with the help of one additional person.  I will try to put a picture of that in as well.

This has been alot of fun and I look forward to really enjoying the boat on the water with the grandchildren.

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff Completed

https://picasaweb.google.com/106282855444206356903/PeelerSkiffCompleted6292015#6165986913076286882

Try this for photos.

John,

Congratulations!  I hope you enjoy your Peeler as much as I have mine.  Last Sunday, out on Narragansett Bay in About Time, I noticed that my grandsons are suddenly taller than I am.  Where does the time go?

Cheers,

Dick

Congratulations on your launch!  Glad you liked my suggestion!  Just got my registration numbers and will have to squish them into the groove!  I have a few ,more things to do before I get to take a ride in my boat.  Just got the Bimini yesterday and need to hook up my CC steering.  Had my boat down your way two weeks ago!  Got my motor from Eds Marine in Ashville.   Cant seem to open the link for your boat pics.

SurferBill,

Try highlighting the link in my second post.  Then right click on the highlighted link, you should be able to go right to it.  I am able to do it, so I assume that everyone can do it also.  If not, then there is something that I don't understand about posting pictures on this site.

Let me know how you make out.

I got my motor from Southeastern Marine in Sandston, but they had to add a separate trim/tilt unit bolted onto the transom, then the motor mounts on it.  The Yamaha 15 hp motor wasn't available with built in trim/tilt.  This moves the motor mounting point about 4" further aft.  It didn't seem to be a problem when I put it on the water earlier this week.  I will be interested to hear about your experience with the Honda.

Hope can get to the photos so you can see how nicely your suggestion worked out.

Jack

Congratulations on finishing your Peeler.  I am still a few weeks away, but the end is in sight - I began in November.  I have a 9.9 Yamaha waiting for me at our local dealer.  This too is an electric start/power tilt model. While I could not find it in the Yamaha catalogue, the dealer said that this is made especially for larger sailboats.  I am looking forward to the launch.

BTW I still could not open your pictures

Jeff

Jeff,

I have a 9.9 HP Yamaha (though manual start) on my Peeler and I couldn't be more satisfied.  It's quiet and sips fuel.  Because most of my time is out on Narragansett Bay, I'm not really interested in planing from wave top to wave top and 9.9 HP is plenty.

I haven't been able to make my tiller extension work reliably over the thick rubber on the motor's tiller, so I plan to install a forward steering station over the Winter.

Cheers,

Dick

I am trying again to include photos on this site.

See if this works:  https://plus.google.com/photos/106282855444206356903/albums/6166720610973040193

Jack

That link worked. Beautiful boat. Mine is still on its back but I hope to get it wet by August.

Wow John!  she came out great!  The break in the outwale bead looks really nice!  Wish I had thought of that sooner!  Too many after thoughts on my build!  I like the font too for the numbers.  I'm not sure if I can use that style here in NJ.  We are supposed to use block letters and numbers only..The marine police could bust my chops over something that is not to the 'letter" of the law!  But, they already love my boat!  Had to get their ok for the paperwork for the title.

I see you are keeping your battery in the stern.  Are you also keeping your gas tank there?  Any thoughts on having the battery in box next to the fuel?  I think I can fit a 6 gallon tank next to my battery box perfectly in the stern.  Just have concerns when the gas is that close to something that could spark.  CLC has their battery under the center thwart.

And, btw, beautiful rowing shell too!

John,

The link finally worked for me.  Beautiful boat!

Cheers,

Dick

Glad that I was finally able to get a link to some pictures posted.  I have many more.

Surfer Bill, I do have the battery in the stern.  There are alot of wires associated with the electric trim/tilt that I haven't sorted out yet and also I am not sure that the main cable is long enough to permit it to be under the center thwart.  I had the 6 gallon fuel tank under the center thwart to move some weight forward  With just me in the boat it seemed somewhat stern heavy, even with a tiller extension that allowed me to straddle the center thwart.  I weigh about 170 lbs.  In any event I think that your reasoning about the battery and fuel tank is sound and it makes sense to separate them because of the weight and balance issue.   I also have a Dole Fin mounted on the engine.  I did not use more than about 1/2 throttle because of the break in period.  As the boat accelerates to just under 1/2 throttle it starts to plane and the bow levels out.  It seems surprisingly quick even at 1/2 speed.

All in all, I am quite pleased.  I appreciate everyone's comments.

Jack

Great to here. I am new here.. Hope i will also get answer to my problem within few hours as yu get answers. The Peeler Skiff is within reach of first-time boatbuilders who have a little experience with epoxy. Although it’s a bigger project than CLC’s famously popular kayaks and dinghies, there’s not much woodworking. The computer-cut kit features intricate slot-and-tab features that will remind builders of the super-easy “flat pack” furniture. The kit includes a 112-page shop manual with hundreds of photos and drawings illustrating every step.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.