Light sanding between coats question?

Hello,

I just put the first coat of varnish on my touch up job on a CLC 17. I wanted to know what was the preffered grit to do the "light sanding" between coats? Also, do I wipe down  with denatured alcohol and then a tack cloth again before the second coat?

Thanks,

Allan

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Light sanding between coats question?

220 will do the job.

i usually wipe down with lacquer thinner with a clean white paper towel between coats.  but you can also wipe down with clean water or denatured alcohol.

if not using lacquer thinner, its important to ensure totally dry before the next coat goes on.

i use the white paper towel as its the easiest way to avoid contamination.

h

And if going with lacquer thinner, be sure to wear protective gloves.  Lacquer thinner will easily penetrate the skin, enter the blood stream, and, with enough exposure, cause kidney failure.

Not trying to be an alarmist, just passing on information.

Be safe, not sorry.

ditto the gloves.  safety glasses and a mask with organic filter is pretty much my standard for me for any varnish/paint work or epoxy sanding.

Thanks,

hspira and Peter. I did use a mask when sanding but did not for denatured alcohol and varnish. I varnished in my backyard and thought that was ample ventiliation for varnishing and denatured alcohol use? Don't like to wear gloves, if you don't hear any more posts from me, then you know what happened (just kidding). Seriously though, thank you for the advice.   

Allan

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.