Wood duck double - gap at the bow hull

Trying to make some forward momentum on my wood  duck double.  Have about 3/32" gap between the top two planks and bottom two planks at the bow.  Any advice on how to close the gap?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood duck double - gap at the bow hull

Extra wires and patience! I drilled quite a few extra holes on my Double, bow and transom. It'll work, eventually.

George K

Are you building from a kit or plans? You might have to back up a few inches and run some sand paper between the panels to reduce the gap. Definitely add a few wires and work back to front a few times and you should be able to get it pretty close. You won't be able to see a gap on the finished boat if you can get it less than about 1/16th of an inch. Good luck. JRC.   

I have the same problem at the bow on my WD12. About a 1/16" maybe 1/8th.

I've added more holes and it helped, but the wood keeps popping out of place about 18 inches back up the bow when I squeeze more at the front.

Is it a good idea to put some Glue or Epoxy in that spot that keeps slipping off, to get it to hold and then finish squeezing in the Bow? Or will that give me more problems down the line?

Thanks in advance,  Yak

I have the same problem at the bow on my WD12. About a 1/16" maybe 1/8th.

I've added more holes and it helped, but the wood keeps popping out of place about 18 inches back up the bow when I squeeze more at the front.

Is it a good idea to put some Glue or Epoxy in that spot that keeps slipping off, to get it to hold and then finish squeezing in the Bow? Or will that give me more problems down the line?

Thanks in advance,  Yak

I got no responses on this, but I went ahead and did it.

I tackwelded the problem area before my bow gap is 100% closed up.

I'll find out tonight how it works out. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.