Kayak-based sailing TRIMARAN

Among other interests I’m a keen motorcyclist (BMW R1200R/ GS/ etc., for those in the know), and of course once a new bike has been bought thoughts always turn to ‘the next bike’!

Same with kayaks – now that my Ches 17LT is under way I’m already thinking about its successor.   In Chris Kulczycki’s seminal book ‘Stitch-and-Glue Boatbuilding’ he includes a chapter and some plans for a kayak-based sailing trimaran.    This interests me greatly as an ex-catamaran sailor, and I’m already thinking about it as my next project.   I’ve seen a couple of photos of a beautiful-looking strip-plank craft, obviously closely following Kulczycki’s plans, and would love to be in touch with any builder(s) of the craft, especially anyone here in Australia.   There are some aspects of the construction I simply cannot work out, but I’m sure that a few words from those who have been there would sort me out! Thanks… Lol from Oz

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kayak-based sailing TRIMARAN

Lol, have you seen this?

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/kayaks/CLC-SAILRIG.html

--

Ogata (eric)

Thanks for this note, Eric - no, I hadn't seen this (it looks suspiciously like John Harris sailing the thing - love that hat!).   Some of the details vary markedly from those in the book I mentioned, especially the manner of attaching the cross-beams to the main hull and floats respectively - but it's hard to know what came first, these website photos or the details in the book.   It is these attachment details that I can't quite work out from the book - the book's set-up drawings look a bit more sophisticated than the lashings seen in these photos - but that doesn't necessarily mean better!

I note that the Sea Kayaker article is a few years old, so maybe that says something...

I shall keep searching - love to see one in the flesh, so to speak.   My interest is such that I intend to cut out an extra set of side and bottom panels when I start the Ches 17 - I have a couple of spare sheets of 4mm Pacific Maple - quite stiff and a little on the heavy side, but it would stand up well to the extra stresses of a sailing rig.   This would give me a head-start if I decide to pursue the concept...

Anybody - I'd greatly appreciate any more info on this variation on the theme!

With thanks...

Lol from Oz 

Lol,

I've not seen Chris K.'s book but I do have the Sea Kayaker magazine where he details how to build a Sailrig for a kayak. I also have a set of the revised plans currently being sold by CLC, from which I built a Sailrig. I, for one, am convinced the revision is an improvement in both the construction process and design.  I would also have to say that attaching the akas using lashings is the way to go. They allow a bit of give and provide a shock absorber for the system which I suspect is a good thing. They are a bit tedious to tie but look oh so nautical.

Dusty 

Oops, let me amend the previous message. I have the Wooden Boat magazine with the Sailrig plans.

Dusty

If you build the CLC sail rig, make sure you build the MK2 version.  It is more refined and looks easier to put together.  I have the plans for both MK1 and MK2 and the plans for the latter are much better.  Also, you can see a variation on the sail rig that I did at my website:

http://www.keakayaks.com/sailrig/sailrig.html

Where in Oz are you located?  I lived in Townsville for a couple of years (in Seattle now). 

Lol, a couple of interesting projects that popped up on another kayak building bulletin board recently. Personally, I think these guys are crazy. But I say that with the deepest respect!

http://imageevent.com/brads_waterworld/threeamigos

http://www.lunadadesign.com/xcr-185-canoe-based-trimaran.html#more-20

--

Ogata (eric)

Thanks for inputs, guys, all taken on board!   I'm intending to keep thinking about this, and already have in mind a couple of theoretical refinements for a dedicated sailing tri (leaving the Ches as a dedicated paddling craft), such as giving it a proper centreboard (foil) in a case mounted centrally within the main hull.   I feel this would be markedly more efficient than the crossbeam-mounted foil shown in CK's plans.

The tri would be ideal for the sheltered waters on Moreton Bay here (just outside Brisbane, Queensland) which is very shallow in parts, but with its many islands, small sandy beaches, rocky headlands, creek and river inlets, and mangroves, is a wonderful playground - and all on my doorstep.   It almost seems criminal not using it!

The best for 2009 to all... good building and smooth paddling.

Lol from Oz

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.