RC Sailboat, Independence

Folks, I see CLC is offering a new class to build a radio control boat at one of their boatbuilding schools.  (check it out in the boatbuilding classes link here) It's a 4-foot long boat called the Independence and looks like a lot of fun to build and toy around with.  Problem is I don't want to build it at an expensive school and would prefer to purchase the kit myself.  CLC says it will be offering it after the first of the year, but that could mean six or months down the road and I have to have it NOW for my instant gratification issues.  I'd really like to build the CLC version, (Perhaps John could offer a date it will be available?)  But if anyone has an alternative boat of similar construction and capabilities, I'd like to hear from you.  I've tried the Internet and can't seem to come up with much of what I'm looking for, ie., I don't want a molded hull, I want to build it myself, stitch and glue style, etc.  John, please hurry and get this thing to the market, or I shall have no alternative but to look elsewhere sadly enough.  Happy holidays all.  Best,  Bob H.

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: RC Sailboat, Independence

Bob,

I second that.  I corresponded with John a few weeks ago and was also told "right after Christmas".  Apparently the slow-down is doing the manual to replace an instructor leaning over your shoulder.

So John, the pressure is on and the customers are beating down the door!!!!!.

Paul G

Our first in-house RC model kit.  Nontrivial challenges to resolve...such as, How do you make lead keels in bulk?  (After much fooling around with CNC-machined aluminum molds, Eric has now produced 24 of the bulb keels.)  What do you do about lots of teensy-tiny pieces of custom brass hardware?  (Rent time on a CNC waterjet cutter.)  

That kit's been around for a few years, but, as Paul said, only for class settings where you don't need a proper instruction manual.  And for folks building at home, whether it's PocketShip or the Independence RC sailboat, it's ALL ABOUT THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL.  We're building several of the things to get the step-by-step photography for a really soup-to-nuts manual.  No kits on the open market until then.   

Here's a YouTube video of a bunch of the Independence models in action:

Ridiculous good fun, and a lot faster to build and cheaper than a big boat!

Quick way to build a racing fleet.

John said:

Ridiculous good fun, and a lot faster to build and cheaper than a big boat!

Aye, but a lot harder to climb aboard and ride. On the other hand, when you get tired of the ship's cat trying to eat your dinner, you can give her her own boat for a bit. Just make sure she doesn't stray out of radio range (or bring home an owl).

Laszlo

Thanks John for your reply.  I think I can appreciate the difficulties with a new project, but PUH-L-L-E-E-E-E-Z 'git 'er out there for us soon????  Thanks  Bob H.

So when are you going to offer the full sized version of the Independence?  

Casey,

Just multiply all the dimensions by 5 and don't forget that the sail area increases by 25 while the volumes & weights increase by 125 and adjust accordingly.

:-) 

Laszlo

have there been any updates about the independence being sold as a kit?

Spin, so much for my instant gratification needs back in December!  John recently said there has been a ton of interest in this new boat and promises that it will be out soon.  Indeed the CLC website recently added that promise as well.  I guess all we can do is hope that the manual is coming along and that by spring's end, John will have "tons" of orders for the new toy.  Once again John, Please help us instant gratification types out here???? Best,  Bob H.

Check this website out...

http://www.rc-sailboat.com/splash.asp

Hector

John et.al. - 

Are you aware of the American Model Yachting Association?  Robust and active national group that sails a number of different classes of RC yachts.  I spent a number of years racing the Marblehead Class and 1 Meter class.  Definitely a good outfit to connect to with the idea that the Independence could be a one design class.  Most racers have to build their own and there's not a lot of kit choices out there.  Here's the link:

http://modelyacht.org/

Cheers - Jim Kozel 

I like the building as much as the paddling. Since I am running out of room to store full size boats, I can see me with a whole fleet of these little beauties as soon as kits become available. Please hurry.

From the originator of this thread three months ago, PL-E-E-E-Z-E  hurry up with the manual folks.  Spring is here and I absolutely must have that boat in the water by summer!!!!!  Best,  Bob H.

I'll pipe up, because I have overseen the construction of about 30 Independences. As John has said, a lot, alot, of fun to sail and race. We built 13 at a yacht club on the Long Island Sound last winter and sailed 96 races!  That's our fleet John's link leads to. Had so much fun we built 8 more this year, and had people waiting who I could not get kits for.

Again, an amazing number of pieces for CLC to collect and stock, but because of this YOU don't have to find them all yourself, and buy 100 when you only need 10.

Because all the pieces are there, these boats can be built in about 40 hours.  When we gave our class at the Wooden Boat School, all 6 participants could have sailed by the end of 5 days, and 3 or 4 did.

One of the model boat companys that has been around forever. Static and R/C boat kits here.

http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=47_48&osCsid=pt264vufdpk9puvq7fgqs7m8i1

I have built a few of their hydro models my first plywood epoxy builds.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.