rolling epoxy

OK, I am all thumbs when it comes to rolling on epoxy on the bottom of my Skerry.  I'm using CLC supplied foam rollers.  The epoxy seems to be making little points and bubbles that just won't go away.  On the bottom itself, parts are pretty good, mostly where I poured the puddles.  The sides are a problem.  Sanded pretty hard w/ 150 after coat 2 and I'm still not down flat on all the peaks.  Try another epoxy coat and then resand?  Did I try to roll it too thin?  Squeegee instead of roller?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: rolling epoxy

First, it sounds as if you're rolling it just fine, but are you then tipping it out?  To tip it out, you use the tip of a dry brush (disposable foam is fine) to pop all the bubbles and smooth things out. So just roll on some epoxy, then very lightly run the tip of the dry brush over the area that you just epoxied and it will end up very smooth. Don't push down, just let the brush rest its own weight (if a foam brush) or actually support it so that the tips just touch the surface of the epoxy (if a heavier bristle brush). Bristle brushes work, but not as well as foam for this and they are pretty darn near impossible to clean and reuse.

Second, if you have high peaks, that's either too thick or your woods's bumpy.

Hold off on the sanding for a bit and try applying thin coats just to the low spots to build them up, then go back to the sanding.

Some people do have better luck with squeegees, but if you're not tipping out, try that before switching. A roller will give you a much thinner and smoother coat. For the price of putting on lots of thin coats instead of a few thick ones, you can end up with a whole lot less sanding.

Finally, everybody is/was all thumbs on their first boat. Welcome to the club. This is one of those things you start getting good at just a s you finish your boat. That's one reason for so many second boats.

Laszlo

RE: rolling epoxy

Sawdust,

Laszlo knows of what he speaks  (especially about getting good when you're almost done).  Excellent advice!  The key is in the tipping out after the rolling.  By their very nature, foam rollers leave bubbles which break leaving tiny craters.  If you have been tipping out with a foam brush, all I can suggest is to make sure the resin is not too cold and don't put it on thick.  For resin, varnish, and paint, thin coats are always better.  Anything more ususlly sags if it's not on a perfectly horizontal surface.

Cheers!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.