Peeler Skiff Wale Strake - Decorative Cove

I would be interested in the size (width), depth and dimension from the bottom of the strake that builders have used for this feature.  Gauging from the photos in the manual, I was thinking that 3/4" from the bottom using a 1/2" diameter bull nose bit would work but would appreciate any input.  Also interest to know if anyone is using a roundover bit on the bow, stern and bottom of the strakes and if so what radius bit looks good.

Jack

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff Wale Strake - Decorative Cove

That sounds about right.  I would practise with some scrap wood and try a few depths to see what you like.  I did mine pretty shallow.  One thng that I would reconsider is not running the entire length.  Starting and stopping before and after where the registration sticker and numbers go.  In NJ the numbers have to be 3 inches and will go over my groove which will be a pain to apply.  Might look kind of cool having a short groove up to where the registration stuff starts and then continuing aft.   Just a thought though.   I left the bottom of my strake sharp - just sandpaper on the edge to slightly round over.  I also left my transom top sharp.  The CLC Peeler has a pretty large round over and it looks nice.  I just slightly rounded over mine, maybe only an 1/8 inch just by hand.  For the bow I just rounded  everythng by hand.

RE: Peeler Skiff Wale Strake - Decorative Cove

Surfer Bill, I really appreciate your input.  The idea of splitting the groove ahead of and behind the registration numbers is a very good one. I have reviewed the photos on the CLC site and see that others have had an issue with the numbers and the groove.  We also have a 3" height requirement in VA, I guess that is pretty standard.

Thanks again,

Jack

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.