Scratch Repair

I have some tangible signs of using my boat (i.e. scratches on the bottom) and want to get comments on my intended method to repair:

--For scratches that chipped off paint but didnt get into the epoxy, just rough up a small area with 80 grit to smooth out chipped area and touch up-paint, and repaint second coat once first coat dry to the touch.

-For scratches where it might have dug into the glass, but not into the wood, rough up with 80 grit and use an acid brush to dop on some non thickened epoxy, let cure overnight, sand again lightly, dob on a little more epoxy.   Then next day rough that up and paint.

Suggestions?

Is there a write up on the CLC website somewhere about repairing small scratches?

Curt

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Scratch Repair

On my boats for deep gouges I use #220, not #80, to smooth the scratches. I find that gives me less chance of collateral damage.

Another thing that I've found useful is to put a piece of 2" wide clear plastic packing tape over the epoxy filled scratch, then rub it with a paper towel to work the epoxy into the scratch, work air bubbles out and to keep the epoxy from running out and making drips. The paper towel catches any extra that oozes out during the process.

Once the epoxy initially cures (about 24 hours) I peel the tape off and let it completely cure. I end up with a smooth fair surface that's ready for final sanding (usually just a light touchup) and varnish/primer. On brightly finished surfaces this makes an invisible repair.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo, good tip, I can see how the packing tape would work well.  You said primer...even on a small repair area do you still apply primer?

If it's painted, yes. Otherwise the repair is pretty visible.

Curt,

I concur with all of Lazlo’s recommendations.

If you are having trouble with air bubbles in your repair mix for deep gouges you can pour the stirred mix into an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and let it rest for several minutes (5-10). Any bubbles formed from stirring will work to the top and will pop. For any bubbles that don’t pop or if you are in a hurry you can then pass a heat gun over the mix quickly (like a vermouth bottle over a martini mixer) or use a “Bubble Buster” spray.  Either method will bust any bubbles that won’t pop from surface tension.

JP

For scratches that chipped off paint but didnt get into the epoxy, just rough up a small area with 80 grit to smooth out chipped area and touch up-paint, and repaint second coat once first coat dry to the touch.

So facing a similar repair, So wind blew the boat off milk crates onto the concrete driveway. Paint was only two weeks old. Damn wind can't live with it can't live without it!

So mine are very minor but why not as Laszlo says a higher grit paper just to take the jagged edges off then fill with 3M Acrylic putty sold by CLC. Sand then paint. No primer. Fortunately for me the putty is white and so is my hull. There's also a white form of Bondo if you can find it.

https://www.imagevenue.com/ME136JWB

I'll be experimenting this weekend never having used the putty before. Unless someone has a better suggestion. 

Thanks stay well, PP

a couple other adds to the existing ideas for minor repairs:

for just scratches and chips - i use wet sandpaper more in the high 100 or 200 realm and a small stiff sanding block.  the wet sandpaper is easier to control.  the little sanding block helps prevent creating a depression/divot.  after the initial sand, touch up (paint or varnish) and feather in with a dry foam brush.  for some scratches, may require two coats of paint to blend.

for deeper, follow lazlo's advice with clear packing tape....but then follow with that wet sandpaper of a nice stiff little sanding block.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.