Peeler Skiff - bottom epoxy

I have just put on the bottom skids and am ready for the last fiberglass on the bottom of the boat.  The manual shows glassing both sides at the same time.  This leaves an overlap of two layers of cloth over the bottom doubler.  Is there any trouble filling two layers of cloth with epoxy.  Any hints on epoxy application with so many ups and downs across the bottom (skids and doubler)?  The last glassing, just over the doubler was challenging and time consuming, as the epoxy application had a tendancy to pull the glass away in the fillets leaving air pockets.  It took a bit of work to close these.  Also I am assuming that the cloth goes over the chines and overlaps the sides and transon about 4 inches?

Jack

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff - bottom epoxy

When you lay the glass cloth on the boat prior to applying the epoxy resin you have to go through a smoothing process of working the cloth with your hands to to conform to the surface.  Once you have it as good as it's going to get, let it sit for a few hours and work it a little more. You'll be surprised at how well the glass cloth will confirm to the surface before adding the resin. Wish I had that video I saw on this. 

Hey, John, I found the video.  This is one if several videos this guy made so you can find the others on YouTube. 

http://youtu.be/HswK7wHvrCY

John,

To refresh my memory I just revisited the build pictures we took.  On my Peeler, we laid the glass on one side of the bottom, let it set, and then laid the other side.  Getting the glass to adhere to the fillets was the hardest job.  You have to be very careful not to pull the wet cloth away from them.  We ended up using our hands (in latex gloves) a lot to push the cloth back into the fillets.

You're right about the 4 - 6" inch overlap on the sides.  After the epoxy was thoroughly cured, the random orbital sander made short work of feathering the edges.  Just make sure that you keep the sanding disk flat against the surface while you're sanding and change the sandpaper when it gets dull.  We bought some sanding sponges to sand the fillets.

Remember, after you turn the boat over only fish will look at the bottom very often.  The sides will be seen by everyone.

Cheers,

Dick

Thanks for the input.  Wing, I stayed up late last night watching the guy in the video.  Probably the most important thing I learned was the smoothing of the glass cloth and then letting it sit for a while.  I was also surprised to see how little epoxy he was using both on the first and then the fill coats. Otherwise, he seemed a little scattered and messy.  I will watch some of the other videos later.  Dick, I appreciate the input on filling the fillets.  I jave been using a paintbrush to push the glass back into the fillets.  I will try using a gloved finger for this as soon as I get more fiberglass from CLC.  I also have posted my email on your builder's site.  I would really like to see your build photos.

Thanks again,

Jack

Jack,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by posting your email on the builders' site.  I assume you mean the Builders' Club.  You can send me a message with your email, using the Builders' Club search and contact member.  I don't know any other way to do it.

Go to Search the Builders' Club, check Peeler Skiff, set your zip code and a range to search, then press the Search button.  I live in eastern Massachusetts, so set the range accordingly.  You can then send me a message with your contact info and I'll send you an email.

I may be recommending the hard way, but I don't see a way to search by nickname.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.