Just bought a used 17 Chesapeake

Hi,

I want to touch up the varnish on my used CLC 17 Chesapeake. What grade sandpaper (220 grit etc,?) would I use to start. I plan on using Zspar 1015 Captian's varnish. Kayak wood seems in good shape. I would appreciate any help. I don't want to sand too deep, this will be my first venture with a wooden kayak and I just want to do things the right way from the start. Thanks for your thoughts.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Just bought a used 17 Chesapeake

Hi Alan,

welcome to the club.  the CLC website, in their shop tips area, has an article on refinishing a kayak  http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/finishing-tips/refinishing.html

that said, i have done it myself more that a couple times with my fleet.  a couple ideas to share with you.

• think of your CLC kayak as a composite kayak with a beutiful wood core sheathed in clear fibreglass/epoxy.  so, unless there is substantial damage to the glass sheathing, most of refinishing involves sanding removing paint/varnish back to the clear glass/epoxy.  you don;t typically sand back to the wood core itself.
  • make sure to have protection from the dust that inevitably gets created in the process.  a ross sander with a vacume attached, a simple respirator and goggles to protect your eyes comes in handy.  you do not want to breath in the dust you will create.
  • most of this is about patience and following the instructions on the paint/varnish can for good surface prep and application.   i have two boats in my current fleet at 14 years of age....and they look like they were built new this winter.....so these boats can last and stay beautfiul with just a little care and attention.

best of luck

What Howard says with the addition that if the boat only needs new varnish, then just wet sand it with #400 wet & dry paper. Wet sanding will control the dust, be much quieter than a power sander and not have as much danger of cutting through any glass and into the wood when it shouldn't.

If after a complete round of wet sanding it has some deep scratches that the wet sanding didn't get out, then you can locally sand those areas with a coarser grit (and possibly a power sander).

Have fun,

Laszlo

Hello,

Thank You, Howard and Laszlo. Good information to know before I get started. Sure

don't want to breathe in any harmful stuff either. I appreciate your responses.

Allan B.

Hello,

Also, how much varnish is usually required on average, for a complete deck and hull touch-up? A quart? half gallon? etc.?

Thanks.   

A quart is more than I ever needed for one CLC boat, and that was starting with bare wood.

Laszlo 

Thank You, Laszlo. Info is appreciated.

Allan

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.