Wear strip on SUP

I am new to this forum.  From plans I've built the CLC LT 17 which is great, a Guillemot from strips from offsets, a Wee Lassie from offsets, and I'm finishing now a Kaholo 14 SUP.  I've painted the SUP Fighting Lady Yellow and have my wife's artwork under glass at the ends but I'm worried about the paddle scraping up the hull radius as my family and I begin to use this board.  What have other builders used on the radius for a wear strip to protect the finish? 

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wear strip on SUP

You can buy a set of clear, soft plastic, adhesive backed rail guards from most stores selling manufactured SUP's.  Amazon has a bunch of them, listed as "rail tape".  I put a set of the Jimmy Lewis tapes on my K14 and they look good, at least mostly invisible.  Make sure you follow the directions and try to work out any bubbles under the tape, as they are visible once there, and you have essentially one shot at putting the tape down.  The adhesive really grabs.

I thought about putting clear 3M Aerospace tape on mine. You can find it on Amazon. 

... and not to derail your thread, but please post pix! I'd especially like to hear about how you added artwork to the deck.

Best,

Patrick

���the front of our Motorhome has A almost indestructible clear vinyl applied to it. Would something like that work for you? If you want me to get the manufacture contact info let me know.

Thanks for the advice on the helicopter tape.  This looks like the one although it will be the most expensive tape I've ever bought.  I guess it beats scratching my new board.

Patrick N - I don't know how to add images to the forum.  If I figure that out or see how to message you directly I'll be happy to send photos.   My wife Wanda Edwards is an artist www.tornpaperpaintings.com and she has a number of her images available at www.spoonflower.com .  She created the mirror image seahorse for me and I ordered several yards of fabric which I epoxied to the deck under 4 oz glass cloth when I fiberglassed the deck.  It looks really great and it's very special to have my wife's art work on my unique SUP - not one in the world like it. 

Excited to hear how the tape works!   

Rail/helicopter tape as mentioned. Also consider building you own wood paddle. My wood paddle ( no glass) is much kinder on rails than my my carbon fibre paddle.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.