keel protection

I'm interested in adding a strip to ptotect my Shearwater keel from abrasion. Who has a good idea? Also I know there is a name for such a strip but at my age ---- uhhh what was I saying---  Oh yeah, I know there's a name for it but I can't remember what it is. SEEYA Jack

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: keel protection

A member of the Chesapeake Paddlers' Association recently posted a link to his blog entry regarding an experiment with helipcopter surface guard tape. Sounds interesting, I've been meaning to pester him to post some pictures.  

http://onthewaterandinthewoods.blogspot.com/

I've used the dynel fabric/graphite epoxy rubstrips on 2 kayaks and they work well but are not the prettiest things in the world:)  It would also be nice to have something that could be run  farther down the keel. I have considered just painting an inch or two wide stripe of graphite/epoxy along the keel but haven't tried that either. There is also a manufacturer who makes rub strips for application to larger boats I have run across in the past. These strips were heavy duty material with longitudinal ridges and they claimed to be considering a product suitable for kayaks or small boats.

--

Ogata (eric) 

Found it:

http://www.keelshield.com/keelshield.html

Now that's got to be going a little bit overboard.... Looks like it would make for a tough bottom. Probably great stuff to have for when you run down one of those pesky kayaks with your Jet-ski!

--

Ogata (eric) 

I have just seen a Ches with 2 strips each about 1/2" wide x 6" or so long screwed into the most vulnerable part of the keel line at stem and stern, where the bottom would rub on the sand if being pulled out of the water one-handed.   Strip is wrapped around each side of the keel line, extends  a few mm up the side.   I didn't give it a lot of attention but I imagine 2 x screws would hold the strips firmly in place.   Copper is soft, easy to work, easily replaced when/ if worn out, and cheap.   Even has a 'nautical look' about it!

Lol from Oz

after just taking a nice trip with my girlfriend down the santa fe river in north florida (yes we said "hi" to naked ed),  my shearwater's bottom is all scratched up.  i have to figure out something for the keel,  or get a plastic boat for this kind of run.  the water was low, so lots of rock dragging... blah.

good thing i have some extra varnish at home. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.