Smooth Fillets?

So far, we have applied fillets around the bottoms of the breastplates (mainly for practice) and around the skeg on our Skerry.  It's easy enough to get the width and depth consistent, but they are not coming out smooth.  The epoxy seems to be "peanut butter" consistency going on, but after it hardens it is more like "oatmeal" consistency requiring a lot of sanding.  I would like to have that problem worked out before we move to the inside of the boat, which we plan to finish bright. Does it sound like we are using too much flour, not enough flour, too much stirring, not enough stirring, too dadgum picky, or what?     

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Smooth Fillets?

Sounds like your mix is right. To get your fillets smooth wait about an hour after you put them in and dip a gloved finger in denatured alcohol and smooth them out. Works great and saves a lot of sanding.

George K

Or, lay down your fillets, immediately dip a chip brush into some epoxy and brush the fillets smooth. Also works great. Smooth as glass with no sanding. When you do sand for finishing, it'll be smooth epoxy only, not epoxy with filler.

As George says, your mix sounds right.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Thanks guys.  I'm usually in bed asleep an hour after any epoxy goes on, so I like Laszlo's idea best.  To clarify, did you mean to dip a chip brush in the same thickened epoxy used to make the fillet, or clear unthickened epoxy?  Thanks again.

Hooper

Clear unthickened epoxy.

And use a disposable chip brush, don't try cleaning it. It won't work.

Laszlo

Back when I was doing fillets, I did a little test http://www.skerrybuild.com/?category_name=fillets&paged=2

I found that after applying the fillet, dipping my finger in denatured alcohol and then applying a strip of packaging tape along the fillet resulted in a very smooth fillet.

SD Roberts

http://www.skerrybuild.com

SD,

Good idea!  I'm going to try that.  I've used packing tape to "dam" epoxy in other joints and it did leave a very smooth surface.  Some of the tape "sticky" stayed on the epoxy though.  Maybe just covering the fillets with plastic film...  

Thank you for the link to your blog.  Nice boat.  The pics and video are very inspiring.  That's exactly what we hope to be doing this spring.

Hooper

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.