Skerry Kit Questions

Hello fellow boat builders and enthusiast,

My wife found the CLC site last Fall and introduced me to it in the hope that it would ignite an old spark and get me back into boat building. I have been visiting the site frequently and even lurking about the forum the last several weeks. I came across Mr. Harris’ renaissance perspective of the Nanoship and the spark turned to flame.  Hence, I have decided to blow the dust off the tools and set up shop to build a Skerry to “knock off the rust”. I hope to sell her when I’m done in order to fund a larger project.  Although experienced at lofting from half models and plans I have decided to build from the kit in order to expedite the project. I have built many Glued Lap, Strip and Traditional Planked vessels but this will be my first “Stich & Glue” from a kit, so for those experienced Skerry builders I have a few questions about the kit.

• What was your build time?
  • Was the fastening hardware sufficient and enough for the basic build?
  • Was the MAS #3 Epoxy Kit sufficient and enough for the basic build?
  • Did you need to purchase any additional Hardwood or Ply for the basic build?
  • What custom feature(s) did you add that get the most compliments that may appeal to a future buyer?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Respectfully,

JP / Rocky Mountain Boatwright

25 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry Kit Questions

JP,

I've got to start with a disclaimer, I have not built a Skerry from a kit. However, I have built quite a few CLC kits and can tell you everything you need will be there in sufficient quantities to build your boat. The only problem newbies usually have is with the epoxy running out. If you're careful, mix small batches, keep your fillets the appropriate size, etc., you will have ample epoxy to finish the boat with some left over for repairs. Hopefully some Skerry owners will chime in here and give you an idea about customizing. I've seen some nice floorboards and inner rails on them.

As far as selling it to fund another project, there are many of us here who can attest to making tens of dollars selling a boat we built from a CLC kit. I'm a pretty decent builder and have found most people don't want to pay what a hand built wooden boat is really worth. If you find a good market, good on ya!

George K

JP, thanks for the Anchoring beta, mebby I can return the favor. Chiming in because Dory and Skerry hull builds are so similar. I’ve built a Dory, several stitch and glue kayaks and one strip built kayak. I’m a committed amateur furniture builder too.

From a kit, hull build can be done in 3-4 days if you plan carefully and don’t have to go to the office. Another 3-4 days for glass and epoxy layers. Rig a nifty pulley/webbing sling setup for rolling the boat. You have a boat shaped object in no time.

The rest took way longer than the hull. Started build in late November, finished in mid May but lost the entire month of Feb and part of March to the polar vortex and cold basement. The CLC expected build time estimates seem pretty close if you’ve built several boats.

You should be fine with the amount of wire for stitches and glass etc. in the kit. Possibly you'll want extra layers of glass or dynel at the heavy wear points at the bow stem/hull point and along skeg. You'll need cleats, blocks, pad eyes, oar locks, eye bolt and myriad other hardware to get underway. I bought a box of 100 bronze screws and was happy to have them. Full on sail kit could possibly be a big help in this regard but then you don't get to have as much fun building spars. Instructions are thorough but have to be read thoroughly.

IMHO MAS sucks, just sucks. Viscous when you want it thin, too thin when you need viscous. More susceptible to cold issues than others. Have used System 3 and West System and like both better than MAS. Only good thing is it has little smell. Personal opinion, your mileage will vary. Let the flame wars begin!

George is right about careful use, plenty in the kit. I tossed the pumps and pour from the jug into graduated containers, or syringes for small batches. Pretty forgiving about proportions but not cold temperatures.

No offense to CLC -with the exception of the hardwood rails - their sold wood products left a lot to be desired. If you are a furniture or boat builder you'll be happier sourcing and milling your own timber. John made things right instantly but I drive though Annapolis a Lot. Sheet goods are great and better priced than a lot of places.

A Skerry owner I bumped into wished he had a Lug vs. the Sprit Rig. But I couldn't out-sail him. Might have had nothing to do with the rig.

My priority was speed of build and I wanted a work boat not museum display - didn’t add too many special features. inwales are the most popular add on and really functional. Kick up rudder option is a very worthwhile addition too. And yes, you can make tens of dollars if you don’t count Any of your time!

Be sure to check out Curt’s (Moonman) Dory build pics. Think he’s an old furniture builder and a fine craftsman.

To quote a prominent Skipjack captain, “wooden boats are an affliction”.
Welcome aboard mate.

George,

Thank you for your input. I appreciate that you have found the CLC kits to be complete with plentiful supplies. That was a concern of mine .  As for building and selling boats I too understand your concern.  The first boat I built and sold was a plywood pram that my sister and I crafted from scraps we begged or bartered for from boat building friends and family. We sold it for fifty buck and the twenty five each we split might as well have been two hundred fifty to us at that age. We were so excited we cranked out two or three more a week for a couple of months and sold them to the yachting folk in our waters.  I sold enough of them in a Summer to buy my very own outboard for my crabbing skiff. .  .  I hear that there may be one or two still knocking the docks at the Baltimore Yacht Club. My father always told me to not count the hours in a boat build but count the cost of materials.  To that he suggested, "add fifteen percent to your friends and twenty to strangers".    I will do the same for this build.

Eric,

Thanks for your honest opinions. Sounds like I’ll be milling some Teak or Mahogany for bright pieces. Teak is hard to find here in Colorado at a fair price so probably will go with some Mahogany. I have used a lot of different epoxies in my day but never MAS. Not too worried though as I have a lot of tricks up my sleeve for working problem adhesives (Dawn detergent, dry ice, lots of bad words).  I’ll be making and stropping my own blocks and will turn belay pins instead of cleats.  Im also considering traditional thole pins for the oar stations and one on the stern for sculling. I am going to try to avoid any shiny hardware but may cast some Bronze gudgeons for the rudder.  I’m not sure about the sail yet. . . My sewing skills are probably rustier than my boat building skills right now, so I'm probably going to buy the Lug canvas from CLC and make my spars.

Well better get  my order in. . . Shop is almost clean and ready. Just got to buy the wife some flowers and chocolate and ask her to park her car outside. 

Thanks again everyone,

JP

JP,

I've kept careful track of the time I spent building my skerry - a first build for me done in the driveway with little kids running around trying hard to get in the way. I overall spent about 200 hours of actual work spread over 3 months. 

Mihai

Salut Mihai!

Thanks for your reply.  I am hoping to get a good 3 or 4 months of relaxing weekends out of this build. Knowing me though, I will probably lock myself in the shop for a full week to get passed the heavy assembly and glassing. My Grandson has been helping with the shop prep and he “can’t wait to learn how to build a boat with Gran Dad like he did with Opa (my father)”.  I’m sure he’ll slow it down a bit, and I pray I will have the patience with him that my father had with me.

JP

JP,

I am attaching a link to pictures of my Skerry build.  When you view the pictures you will see that my Skerry is highly modified, not because the design is bad, but because I like to try new things.  I fabricated my mast and spars using the "birds mouth" method of construction,  I changed the decks, the center seat and the dagger board trunk.  I added bottom boards and open gunwales with new breast hooks.  My sale is a bit larger than the stock sale and can be used with or with out the sprit boom.   I eliminated some of the exposed  fillets by using hidden fillets.   There are other changes too numerous to mention.  Any way check out the pictures.

I also really liked the MAS epoxy.  It performed very nicely.  

JM

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100988086150537244322/albums/5373173082931181633?authkey=CJ_DiJ6SgM3T2QE   

JM,

First let me say, beautiful shop and magnificent build!!!

The Broad Axes and Jack Planes literally brought a tear to my eye as I thought about my Grandfather shaping massive keels and frame members with nothing more than a few broad axes of different shapes and sizes. . .  An art I regretfully never mastered.

Your craftsmanship has set the bar high for my build. I do like everything you did to make the build your own from a kit, especially the decks, floor boards, thwart knees and inwales.  I have never built a “birds mouth” mast but I am impressed by the technique and how it turned out for you. . .  I think I will stick with what I know and build solid spars. It looks from the pictures like you used a good deal of mahogany for the bright work and I was thinking of doing the same, as Teak is hard to find at a reasonable cost in my area.

Thank you very much for sharing your build with me. I hope you don’t mind if I use some of your ideas for inspiration on my build.

Respectfully,

JP

JP

Feel free to use any of my modifications.  You may like to check out, the link below.  It explains how to build a birds mouth spar.  Building the round hollow spars is really a blast.  It is a relatively easy and fun project.

Yes, I used Mahogany,  I think it is much nicer to work with than teak.

You are the first person that checked out my build pictures to mention the axes.  

JM 

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/articles/birdsmouth/ 

Just my 2 cents on MAS epoxy. Over the years I have probably used every brand of epoxy and all the hardeners they can be used with. They all work as advertised and I had absolutely no problems with the MAS epoxy.  The plus side of the MAS supplied with the kit is it does not blush.  As a matter of fact, I have about a quart of resin and hardener left in my unheated garage, purchased in March, 2011, three years ago. I used about three pumps of each yesterday and other than a slight Amber color (amber, yellow, orange, I'm colorblind) it performed flawlessly. Also it is much cheaper to buy MAS from CLC than many other options. The most important thing in using any epoxy is mixing. It must be mixed twice as long as you think while continuously scraping the bottom and sides of the container. 

Hi JP,

It appears you have received some detailed responses, so forgive me if any of this is a repeat.

What was your build time - I built mine in 100 (workings) days over the course of a year and a half (including finishing).  Build documented here http://www.skerrybuild.com

Was the Hardware sufficient -  Yes.  

Was the MAS #3 Epoxy Kit sufficient - I needed more than what originally came with the kit.  The quality was fine.

Did you need to purchase any additional Hardwood or Ply - I did supplement the hardware with a couple additional things.  However, it was more a matter of choice than need.  No additional Ply was needed.

What custom feature(s) did you add that get the most compliments - I added floorboards.  I added them for funtionality.  But, I have been told they add character to my boat.

Steven David Roberts

http://www.skerrybuild.com

Ro Mo Bo

Since no one else has asked I'll bite. What the heck do you use the Dawn detergent for?

Because Dawn contains no phosphates it is an excellent de-greaser and is cheaper than denatured alcohol for cleaning areas between epoxy coats to prevent fisheyes. . . Also when you mix a proper ratio of water, Dawn and isopropyl alcohol you have a bubble buster that when sprayed from an atomizing spray bottle will release surface tension of un-thickened epoxy and bust any bubbles formed from mixing or spreading with a brush or roller. 

JP

Jackie Marlinespike,

What is the strip of stained wood running below the green stripe called?

All in all a visually striking vessel.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert

I call it a "rub strip"

JM   

Jackie, I've been admiring your Skerry for a while, now, and I've got to agree with Robert that the rub strip adds a lot to the good looks of your boat. If you don't mind answering a couple of Q's:

- what wood  how did you did you use and how did you make the strip?

- is it placed just under bottom edge of the sheer strake?

- what did you do and use to attach it?

Thanks. Sullivan

Sullivan,

I used Mahogany for the rub strips.  The strip is approx 7/8 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick with the outer corners rounded with the router.

The bottom edge of the rub strip is aligned with the bottom edge of the shear strake.

I attached it with epoxy and clamps.

Hope this helps

JM  

JM,

Is it a single piece? And is it a custom add on or did you do it with materials from the kit?

Robert

JM,

Is it a single piece? And is it a custom add on or did you do it with materials from the kit?

Robert

I was also impressed by Jackie's rub strips.  This is our first boat, so we just invented a way to get the strips on ours.  When we ordered our kit, we requested extra material for scuppered inwales and we received enough to do the inwales and the rub strips.  The boat is still not finished, but the rub strips have been on for a long time.  If you would like to see some pictures of the process we invented, I can try to figure out how to get them up here, or at least send a link.

Hooper Williams

Brevard, NC   

Hooper, the one thing you can know with certainty is that we'll always say yes to build pics. I've had questions about how to do scuppers, inwales  and that rub strip on Jackie's build for quite a while. Pics, please! And thanks to you and to Jackie for helping out.

It feels a little presumptuous to post pictures of a boat that doesn't even float yet.  I think we do have the rub strips and inwales figured out, though.  If it speeds your project up, then good!  When the boat is finished, I plan to get rid of the redundant and irrelevant pics, but today it is the good, the bad and the ugly:  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49414332@N04/sets/72157645186993049

Hooper

Robert, I bought the mahogany for the rub strips locally. the store just happened to have full length pieces that were trimmings from another order so I didn't have to scarf them and they were almost free because they were leftover scrap.

Hooper, Nice boat, I like your "Redneck" tools

JM

Thanks Jackie.  Something is wrong at flickr today.  Photo albums are being cut off about half way through the pictures.  Lots of flickr customers are complaining on the flickr help forum.  Maybe they will get it fixed at some point.

Hooper 

Hooper, she's a beauty! And your build site will be helpful to other forum members. It must feel really good to be in the home stretch. A couple of Q's:

- what's the plan for the paint/finish?

- what have you settled on for sail type, and why? 

Thanks. Sullivan

Well thank you Sullivan.  We really like the look of Jackie's boat.  We plan to finish the outside basically like his:  white up to the rub strip and green above.  The rub strip and gunwales will be bright and the whole interior will be bright.  

We don't know much about sailing and we're building this boat to be a trainer, so my reasoning on the sail choice may not be very valid.  From my reading, it sounds like a Gunter Sloop rig might be more interesting and fun after the beginning of the learning stages.  It will give two people something to do when my son and I are sailing together.  We can use the main alone until we gain some skills.  The set-up for the Gunter Sloop looked kind of "after market" to us, so we're taking our time trying to make it look like it was intended for the Skerry.  We'll see how it turns out.

Hooper  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.