Reef Points on Skerry 15 lug rig

I'm trying to determine how many reef points are best added to the sail for a Skerry 15 lug rig, and why. The size and dimensions of the sail are just below. All thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Reef Points on Skerry 15 lug rig

A good rule of thumb for this size sail and vessel displacement would be to reduce by 25% for each reef point. By adding two reef points you would reduce total sail area by 50%. Glancing at the drawing I would estimate this to be between 20 to 24 inches increments.  Being a balanced lug this should keep the CE (center of effort) in line on the sail and moving the total CE down the mast by equal percentages. That should still leave you with a balanced helm with a properly trimmed sail.

These are just my estimates given the schematics provided. A good sail maker could calculate them accurately. 

My personal recommendation would be to only add one, reducing by 25%. Adding two and reducing your sail by 50% is considerable for this style rig and size vessel. It also depends on what your purpose for reefing is along with your seamanship ability and expectations for vessel performance in heavy air.

Sometimes sail and helm control are all that is needed for safe passage in a vessel this size in heavy air.

Happy heeling!!!

JP

Okay I need to chime in again as a result of my nosey wife. . . She looked over my shoulder as I posted my response and asked. . .  " Is his rig stayed"? 

I answered "no". She "humphed" and walked away while saying under her breath. . . " I would have told him two". . . Of course I immediately disagreed (in my mind not out loud) then began to think of what she said.  I'm sure she took into consideration that because your rig is freestanding that the forces in heavy air could be too much for the mast step and spars. As I thought more about it I realized I didn't consider something that was impressed upon me as a young seaman and apprentice by my Father and Uncle thus my new appended recomnedation:

If the wind doubles from 5 to 10 knots the force on your sail and spars will increase by four times. . . A second reef point is a good idea for the sake of your spars and vessel. 

Man. . . I can't believe I didn't think of that but I will trust you won't tell her I said she was right!!!

JP

Thanks for responding, JP. Other than a few sailing lessons eons ago and a whole lot of reading and studying more recently, my seamanship ability is nil. This boat will be the boat in which I'll do the bulk of my "better late than never, I hope" learning about sailing. My plan, at least for the early part of that learning curve, is to do all I can to avoid that heavy air. But, as careful as I plan to be, I thought that adding a reef point or two had to be a wise thing. So, the advice and explanation is much appreciated. I think I see two reef points in my future.

Speaking of being careful, that disagreeing with "she who must be obeyed" only in you mind, as opposed to right out loud, shows me some maturity abd very good judgment. Congrats on having figured it out. And thanks again.     

On my dory, I did 2 sets of reef points:  some people would say overkill, but....

CLC: Whatever you decide, you may want to send the sail back to CLC to add the reef poiints..I had them put 2 sets in mine when I bought it from them and the clews and tacks have excellent workmanship...very nicely sewn

Two sets:  If you are sailing for pleasure and not for  aggressive speed, one reef works well when two of us are in moderate winds and two reef points works well when I'm out by myself in heavier winds and want to be leisurely...two reefs also works well down wind in a big blow if you (again) are sailing for pleasure and not speed

Curt

Since we’re on the subject of reefing madness I wonder if any of you experienced sailors have opinions on jiffy reefing or alternates for the lug rig.
Don’t want to hijack this thread, should we start another?
Thanks,
e

oops, long thread on jiffy reefing here...

http://www.clcboats.com/forum/5/thread/26479.html

sorry lads, and ladies.

Curt, I'm sold on two reef points for this sail. I'll not have to send it back to get them installed because I've not ordered the boat yet - there's a possible move that has me on hold for the moment but not for long, I hope. Thanks for your comments. Are you finding a place to sail that dory anywhere reasonably close to Kerrville? You're not all that far from the coast.

Eric, I don't see your comment as a thread hijack. Assuming that jiffy reefing is just another way to reduce sail in a hurry, I'm glad to know there is such a thing. Learning a lot, here. Thanks for chiming in.

I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble, but some traditional boats use the halyard as a stay - in the Skerry that would require installing cleats or some other attachment points on the gunwales.  Of course that also requires reattaching the halyard at every tack which is unlikely to be fun when sailing singlehanded.

Mihai

Eric,

after your post, I was looking for material on jiffy reefing and I came across this setup on a Phoenix III lug rig. Looks amazingly simple, inexpensive and, I'd guess, pretty effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E35-enwImJwv=E35-enwImJw

I think even I could do this.

SullivanB,   All of my sailing and rowing so far was in Maine lakes and the ocean when we were work camping there for 3 months last summer.  As soon as I reassemble the trailer I'll be putting in on the Guadalupe River in Kerrville.  I also want to go camping at Inks Lake and take the boat for a week or so, and maybe the Gulf coast..cant wait to get it wet again!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.