Regular Tiller on Dory or Skerry?

The more I look at these designs, the more I think I dislike that weird tiller setup.  Has anyone just put a regular tiller on one?  Like, just a stick that goes forward straight off the rudder?  

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Regular Tiller on Dory or Skerry?

The primary reason is to allow someone to sit in the rear-most seat...would not be possible with a conventional tiller.  I too was concerned about the offset tiller but came to actually prefer it now that I've sailed my dory, yes it's a little loose but it works fine.. one nice thing about the dory is you can sail it sitting face forward, not on side benches which require weight to be either all the way port or starboard.  With the lateral thwarts, you can sit in the middle and shift your weight an inch or so at a time port or starboard in the puffs, and all the while have your tiller extention comfortably by your side.  A conventional tiller would require you to reach around behind your back to hold the end of the tiller and most times you would not benefit from a hiking stick on the tiller because the Dory does not need as much counterbalance as other dingy sailboats.

that being said, I DID make my tiller removeable from the rudder as have at least a few other dory builders to make storage easier.  Let me know if you want a link to see one

I also would recommend the optional kick up rudder on the dory but that's a separate discussion from your point on the tiller.

Curt

There's absolutely no reason why you can't use a straight tiller on either boat.

But, for what it's worth, I started off with a straight tiller 39 years ago and then ran into the push-pull tiller 12 years ago, so I've had time to give each a fair try. I've also tried exactly the same hulls with both tiller types. The push-pull tiller has always been more comfortable and easier to use, especially the smaller the boat. It doesn't sweep the cockpit and you can sit in one spot without having to keep dodging the tiller.

I urge you to give it a try, but if you don't want to there's no reason not to go with the straight tiller.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Thanks, guys.  I realize using a traditional tiller would interfere with sitting in the rear seat (although couldn't you do it and work around the tiller, as people do with all kinds of small sailboats?).  

One question - do you ever lash the tiller/rudder?  I can't imagine how you do that with the offset tiller?  (I'm really lazy and like to fix the sail and rudder and drink a beer.)  

I'm trying to build the simplest, most traditional boat I can, and just wondering because I imagine the historical versions of this boat must have used a standard type tiller?  

Thanks for all input, and Curt, still hoping to reach you by phone, hopefully one day next week, thanks!

Mark

Lashing a tiller down in an open, capsizable, boat under sail seems a triffle risky to me.

Hello Mark,

If you want to stay true to tradition you would use an oar in the transom sculling lock. Traditionally the sailing dories did not have mounted rudders and tillers.  I have used all three, among at least a dozen other configurations and truly don't have a preference  however  I would say the design and displacement of the North East Dory and Skerry would be best served by the Yoke (push pull) tiller as designed. 

Happy sailing,

JP

Being able to temporarily lash the tiller extension is actually something I have experimented with.  As said above, it's not wise to leave it afixed but for a temporary thing to reach for a beer, or to take a picture, it makes sense.  I carried a few orange spring clamps and used one to clamp the tiller extension to the inner rail, but that only worked sometimes.  I'm picturing something you could just rest the tiller extension in that would be connected to the inner rail, that would have pressure sides lined with leather or felt, and then a lever to hold it in, so that with a single motion you could release the lever and grab it in a hurry, sort of like a lever based throttle lock on a motorcycle grip..

Also, I wonder what people like Neil Calore do that are long distance dory sailors?  Surely they dont hold the tiller extension 100% of the time.    

Curt 

If the sail(s) are properly trimmed a boat will hold its course with minimal use of the tiller. The tiller will only come into play for course changes and wind shifts. So for beer calls, you can either let go for a short time while you pop the tab or tuck the tiller under your arm. Same also works for the resulting nature calls.

If that sounds a bit iffy due to the prevailing conditions, then it's probably iffy to be having a beer, anyway.

With a push-pul tiller tucked under your arm you can still actively steer the boat by leaning forward and back. That won't work with a straight tiller.

Have fun (and be safe),

Laszlo

Of course you could get rid of the tiller completely. Rope & yoke would be a solution.

The folks at WoodenBoat Forum had a discussion on tiller -half yoke  and full yoke with rope:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?74131-Steering-Tiller-vs-Push-pull-vs-Rope

I think the way John designed it would be best - at least for me.

As others have suggested... try it before you decide you don't like it.  I too questioned the push/pull tiller when I was first building ET Bugaboo (http://www.skerrybuild.com).  However, I quickly grew to appreciate the benefits.  The most beneficial being the ability to sit more forward without affecting my ability to steer.  I have even thought about making a longer tiller for when I want to make sail adjustments.

However, there is no reason you can't use a "traditional" tiller.  

Steven David Roberts

http://www.skerrybuild.com

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.