Anyone need a new project?

My dad passed away last summer leaving a half finished Shearwater kayak. I want to finish it but have time pressure and so much baggage attached to it! Is there someone out there who would finish it for me for a fee? Thank you Jenna

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Anyone need a new project?

Jenna,

very sorry to hear about your loss. As far as the kayak, folks are going to need to know where the half finished boat is located. Also, which shearwater (14,16, 17 or sport) and maybe a couple of photos of what "half finished" means.

Second the above post, also does free mean materials or just time. JRC   

Jenna,

Please contact me at danielthaler at gmail dot com

Dan

Jenna, sorry to hear of your loss.

jnjclark, she said "fee" not "free".    

So in answer to some of the questions posted:
It is a 17 foot shearwater hybrid. Completely assembled and fiberglass cloth/epoxy over the whole thing except maybe the cockpit combing. Needs probably further epoxy work and varnish. Hatches not cut out but I would prefer to forego hatches in order to preserve the look of the strip planking design my dad built. 

I would of course pay for all supplies. 

The kayak is located in Hanover, Massachusetts. I would be willing to drive it to someone's shop within a couple of hours.

Photos could be taken this weekend and sent along. 

I'm not sure how many hours it would take to finish. I would prefer to estimate hours, decide on an hourly rate, and agree on a fee ahead of time. It's important to me that his work not go to waste. 

Thank you,

Jenna Hughes 

Jenna, I am located in southern New Hampshire and willing to complete your dad's boat for you. I can pick it up and bring it back also. If you are still looking for someone you can email me at [email protected]. I don't build for profit, I build because I enjoy it. You buy the supplies and some Heinekens...

Fee or Free, my eyes tricked me again. As far as trhe hatches go, look at using flush hatches and on of the hidden hatch hold down systems. Even for day trips you are going to want some storage besides your cockpit. Definately glass the coaming. I skipped it on my first few kayaks, and am now going back to fix problems. Good Luck JRC   

Jenna was gracious enough to let me take on this project. The kayak had sat outside for  years in the snow in the Northeast. The hull and deck had been joined and fiberglassed but the coaming had rotted and the hull was wet under the glass. I stripped the glass off, let it dry, sanded and reglassed it. The results were much better than it could have been...

Dan

Dan - For some reason I can't view your linked pic(s). Can you try posting these again? Would love to see this completed project. Thanks.

It doesn't show up in the above post? Here's a link to the album on my Facebook page. I've done several kayak completion projects in the last year or so.

Dan

Absolutely wonderful and amazing work to make this special, special kayak a reality.  What a wonderful treasure.   

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Dan. You've given me the inspiration I need as I psych up to start varnishing my Northeaster Dory.

Jeff  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.