NE Dory: Lug, Sloop or Row Only?

Hi Folks,

This may be a little to "general" of a question for the forum, if so I apologize and the mods may freely delete without offense.  

I'm planning to build the Northeaster Dory this Winter/Spring, with my 10 year old son (it was his idea).  We are a family of four - my wife and I (140 lbs and 180 lbs), and a 12 year old daughter and the boy.  All have fairly extensive boating experience (sail, kayak).  The kids have their own kayaks and we paddle a lot, and they go the sailing camp every year.  We would use the boat on Long Island Sound, for day outings from solo to the whole family.  And we would trailer it up to Maine, where we go every summer, for Penobscot and environs (and maybe camp on the islands now and then). 

What I'm waffling on is the configuration.  My concern is with four people (and possibly a Golden Retriever) in the boat, will the sail rig(s) be too awkward to deal with?  Other than an occasional photo, I'm having a hard time visualizing how sail handling would work with 4 aboard.  I'm leaning toward the lug rig, for simplicity.  But also considering building it just as a rowboat.  We would not likely be going more than 10-15 miles a day most of the time, and we kayak those distances regularly, so I imagine rowing would be manageable.  But the sail would be nice, to relax... if it doesn't get in the way too much.  

Am I making any sense?  Anyone willing to offer any thoughts on this, how to set up the boat for this kind of use?  If anyone knows of any videos showing tacking or jibing the boat with 4 people aboard, that would be awesome.

Thanks,

Mark 

15 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory: Lug, Sloop or Row Only?

Hi Mark,

Let's do this...could you call me to discuss?  May be faster and provide better info for you at the same time.  830/997-8120.

Real briefly, I am real glad I built the Dory as a lug/rower last winter.  I take 2 sets of oars when I know I wont be sailing and take one set of oars when I may/will be sailing.  Also have (and would recommend) 2 sets of reef points in the lug sail...reefed down to the second reef makes it very comfortable to sail with all 4 people aboard if speed is not the issue.   Give me a call!

Curt

Boat Build Photo Journal: https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE&feat=directlink

Thanks, Curt, that is incredibly nice of you.  I am leaving work now, can I call you tomorrow morning some time?  

Really awesome photo journal.  Just a few minutes on it tells me it will be very helpful.  

I was particularly impressed that you can tow that giant camper with that little Honda, though.... 

https://plus.google.com/photos/114717787929554738224/albums/5954674029727101377/6064885327533635346?banner=pwa&authkey=CKCBzczm_aKs2wE&pid=6064885327533635346&oid=114717787929554738224

Ha...that's funny...obviously the Honda is the towed, not the tow vehicle...but it does look funny eh?  I'll be available from about 7:00 am to Noon CST Tues AM, then again Tuesday evening....would enjoy talking to you..I love the CLC dory!

Curt

Four people, plus maybe a dog, is a lot, never mind the advertised 800 lbs capacity.  Rowing that many may be a slog for a single rower (although my experience is limited to one adult passenger).  Careful advance-thought to who sits where (and how low in the boat!) will be very important, perhaps especially for hull trim. But you can work that out with the boat sitting on the lawn in the backyard.  One great advantage of the lug, which I built, is that the boom is positioned higher over the sailors' heads.  Also, if you remove the mast partner/thwart, one of the kids should be able to sit forward of the rower.  The CLC pictures on the dory page show three adults, two of whom are rowers.  Good luck!

Hi Mark,
Should be a hoot building with your son, and at a perfect age to get him properly indoctrinated.  Moonchaser should be a great resource. Good builder. and with sailing experience. I’ll probably repeat what he’s already told you. I built mine with the lug rig last winter.
IMHO your lug rig choice is the right one. Simple, roomier in the boat and can be struck while on the water.  I’ve even dropped the mast underway. You’ll want some one to keep you pointing into the wind. The yard gets unruly otherwise. Pulling the mast partner opens the forward seat. I added length to my mast partner knees, drilled extra mounting holes forward and can mount the partner well forward, out of the way of seat.
The boat will be pretty tight sailing with 4, but possible if two of them are children. Stow the dog up in the bow to help with trim as the boat is trim sensitive. Rowing will be fine with the entire brood but you’ll want two oars folks. With a little technique the boat will Scoot. At least it seems like it should. Will let you know if I ever develop any. CLC suggests 8.5’ oars. I have 8.5s and 8s. They work pretty well for tandem rowing if you are used to crossing your hands on recovery. I’d like to try 9’ for solo rowing. It’s a wide boat at that station and the freeboard is pretty high. But you’d never be able to use 9s at the tandem rowing station.
If you are looking for something for longer outings like overnight campers it might be too small for the entire clan and gear. For a couple of hours it would be fine.
One thing to consider when figuring out configuration is that the Daggerboard trunk has a huge impact on interior versatility and stowing rudder in the boat is a total pain. It’s not really very big but the barndoor and yoke are a rigid package. There is a kick up rudder option which should be easier to stow. The daggerboard stows up in the bow and isn’t much trouble at all. If your are planning to drop sail on the water with 5 bodies aboard it would get pretty cramped but if you decide at the ramp whether it’s a row or sail day, Bob’s your uncle.
Hope this helped.

Thanks, folks, your responses are really appreciated.  I haven't connected with Moonchaser yet, but looking forward to speaking with him.  

At this point, I'm very tempted to build this as a rowboat only.  It's a very pretty design as a rowboat, and that would eliminate the daggerboard trunk and allow a little more flexibility in terms of seats.  I have a kayak "sail" called a Wind Paddle that is pretty cool, and am thinking about some kind of similar thing for this (maybe just as large Wind Paddle).  

I'm curious about this idea of moving the mast partner forward, though?  Any pics?  My email is jmarklane at gmail dot com, if anyone could send any pics that would certainly be appreciated!

Mark 

I've camped with two other people and gear and all went well. We only had one set of oars and the second would have been welcome when rowing with the load. We enjoyed sailing when the winds cooperated. I added lazy jacks to the lug sail which allows the boom/sail to be lifted above everyone's heads and makes things more comfortable when rowing; and eliminates the need to have the boom/sail assembly in the boat. I would definitely build the tilt up rudder as leaving it in the water means paying attention to the tiller while rowing and makes beaching more difficult. 

Barry

Hey Barry...I like your idea of lazy jacks.  Would it be possible to show us a picture or drawing...or even just an explanation where you have the line(s) tied off and looped around etc?  

BTW totally agree about the kick up rudder.. I had problems launching on lakes last summer due to a very shallow shore area and mud/clay bottom so .I bought a kick up rudder kit when I was at CLC this summer....

Curt  830/997-8120

Will try to get pics of the repositionable mast partner as soon as I can get over to my friends barn. Maybe this weekend. It only moves 6 inches but with some care you could increase mobility by a good bit. Planned to attach a sheet of canvas to the partner and sling down to the seat to make a kind of hammock seat. You’ll see them in some micro cruisers.

Downwind rig sounds like a nice bit of kit to have for a daggerboard-less boat.

Ditto on seeing Lazy Jack pics. I’ve seen a few sets of pics on various sites but having a hard time understanding them. Even if it means having to learn a whole new set of strings to pull on.

I ran the lines through nylon pad eyes on the top of the mast and joined them to a single line to the cleat on the front of the mast.  The connection is far enough to allow the boom/sail assembly to lower into the boat if desired.  I can give distances if desired but I  put the lines loosely on boom and adjusted to get the desired lift. The system allows everything to be held out of the way as well as for reefing.

Barry...thanks much for the picture.  Your dory and mine look a lot alike!!  Love some ideas I see in the picture...so...I've made lazy jacks on multiple boats and know it takes some fiddling, so let me see if I got this right because I can so see them on my dory...one big advantage too is that you can pull down on the main sheet/cleat if off when dousing the sail, thus reducing the flaling spars!! 

So for starters, you have pad eyes on both sides of the mast at the top with a line that goes thru each one, that  join to become one line that is cleated on the front of the mast to act like a topping lift?  Do the lines pull thru the pad eyes OK?   Then on the end of each of the lines coming down from the top of the mast do  you have a ring or are the lines just tied together?  It looks like you just have two lines tied off with no adjustment right?  One forward and one aft that simply loop under the boom?  Do you have anything to hold them on place on the boom like more pad eyes?   And, yes any dimensions or close up pics would be great!!

This is a huge feature, glad you posted it, thanks!

Curt

What are those things looped through the inwhales on the port side? 

There are various bungees and some rubber coated wire ties on the inwales is n both sides of the boat that I use to attach whatever needs it. I use the black ball type bungees to hold the oars in the locks while sailing. 

The lazy jacks are tied to the boom with a clove hitch at about 3' from each end. That allows me to move them if needed for positioning. They run up about 4' to join by knots to a single line on each side of the sail. Those two lines run through a single fairlead on top of the mast. I joined them to a single line down to the cleat leaving enough of the two lines to be able to drop the boom/sail onto the thwarts: about 8 1/2' of two lines before joining. The single line cleats to a cleat on the front of the mast. I used red line to make it easier to not confuse with the halyard and downhaul. I have found that it is helpful to tie the lazy jacks together with a small bungee right above the assembly when it is dropped into the boat. Otherwise the lines can get a bit mixed when stepping the mast. 

I'll try to post some closeup photos when I get a chance. Barry

Barry...thanks much for the good notes...I'm really looking forward to having lazy jacks!!  Pics would be great too if you can. 

Question...do you loosen the lazy jacks before raising the sail, and tighten it before dousing the sail or leave them in one position?  

I ask because I have lines led aft via spring loaded turning blocks and cam cleats on the mast partner on each side of the mast  for the downhaul and halyard so  I was wondering if you go forward when raising or dousing to adjust the lazy jacks?

Curt

Curt, I leave the lazy jacks set in one position when raising and lowering the sail except when rowing for extended periods or beached. At those times, I raise them to get extra head clearance.  Barry

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.