lapstitch question - first time sassafras builder

Built the mill creek before and now doing a Sassafras 12.  Look this new lapstitch question but am unsure of something.  I just put the exopy into the seams and removed the wires.  I'm wondering when I get back to the exterior finishing stage how much of the lapped over section of the strake stays and how much gets sanded off if any?  I'm thinking I may need to fill in the seems even more if I'm suppposed to just round over the lapped area between each section and that is it? I now that the finished product does have a nice stepped down appearance between each section but I can't picture what it is supposed to look like when complete and wonder how much I'm suppoed to sand over the lapped area of the seam.  Am I making any sense here at all?  Anyone have any close up photos of what it should look like when done?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: lapstitch question - first time sassafras builder

Klaver, you only need to sand the edges just enough to remove the sharp corner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/hydrochondriac/SANY0001.jpg

So clearly I need to go back and fill in the seams more than I did.  Looks like you almost need to over fill then a bit?  Right now I filled them up and they have slight dip in them that dropped under the line of the strake.  Looks like I really need to fill them all the way to top plus a little correct?  Looks like in your photo you sort of fan out the fill in the seam and tapper it off a bit into the next section?

I built a Sass '16. I did as you probably have done: applied enough epoxy to glue the bits together, removed the wires, then wondered what to do with the rest of the space remaining between the strakes.

What I did was use epoxy mixed with a lot of wood flour, and spacked it in there with a spatula. Lighter, easier to sand, and less epoxy, so cheaper build overall. Maybe some strength lost over pure epoxy, but three years of rough handlings says it's fine.

Yes, fill the gap right up level with the plank, the epoxy soaks into the wood and the level drops so you might have to do it a couple of times

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I will go and fill the seams up level is the lap is even as it drops to the next section.  I was wondering if that was what it was supposed to look like.  I've not seen one of these first hand and that would help a lot if I had.

I'm sure I will be back with another question or two before it is all said and done. 

Klaver

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.