Final varnish coat

I do a bit of varnishing and frequently have a problem on my last coat.  I get everything smooth and flat, that last coat lays down glassy smooth and then I end up with nibs and dust in it in places. Otherwise it's pefect.  Is there a way to fix this short of wet sanding with 2k and then rubbing it out with polishes?  Is there a quick way to de-nib and retain a high gloss? 

I've found sometimes I can just rub it down with printer paper and knock off nibs, but sometimes it's more than that.  Yes, I can try to work in a completely dust-free environment but that's just not going to happen.   Is there a polish/compound that cuts enough to knock down the nibs but not aggressive enough to dull the finish?  Maybe used with a cork block or something?

Thanks.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Final varnish coat

Take it out on the water for 3 trips and you'll never notice the nibs and dust again. They'll be lost in the noise.

Laszlo

Be sure your varnished surfaces are fully cured then rub lightly with 0000 (4 Ott) steel wool.  Wash thouroghly with soap and water then buff with Meguires Mirror Glaze Fine Cut Cleaner. Finish with Mirror Glaze #7. 

I apply the Mequires products using an air buffer but I would highly recomend starting out by hand if you have never used a buffer before.

JP

There is a reason auto collison/paint shops use paint booths. You can build a small frame to sorround your boat and leave about 1 foot around the boat. Use polyetlylene to cover the area and the floor below the boad. Clean the sovered area. Lift the sides and apply the finish. Drop the sides and chage the plastic with a nylon bursh. The charged sheeting should attract the dust outside and inside the tenting. I would also look at using polishing compound for the final buff out.

But as noted after a couple of outings, no one will notice the small nibs.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.