Trailer for Peeler Skiff

I have purchased a Peeler Skiff kit to be picked up after the first of the year.  I plan to pick up a trailer locally (Annapolis) and load the kit for return to Richmond.  The local dealer has new Load Rite bunk trailers. Either the Model 16-1200 (1200 lb. capacity) or 16-1500 (1500 lb. capaacity) appears to work.  My question is regarding the inside width (between the fenders).  The 1200 is 49" and the 1500 is 62".  Is the 49 inches enough for the skiff considering trailing, loading and launching?  Would appreciate any recommendations for trailering the skiff.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Trailer for Peeler Skiff

Either of those trailers would work fine in my opinion.   My Peeler trailer (Trailex) is on the smaller side and only rated for 800 pounds.  Havent launched my boat yet though!  You might want to consider the stiffness of the springs on the 1500.  Might be a little bouncy.  As far as the width, I think the advantage of wider is being a little more stable?  Also the wider fenders will give you something to stand on to get in the boat when needed.  The 1200 might not give you much room to do that.  I wanted a small trailer so it would fit in my shop (length) with the boat and I also wanted it really light for towing with my mini van.  What will you be using to tow?  I fit the entire kit inside my Grand Caravan when I picked the kit up.   Just had to have the seats forward a little. Its like loading 6 sheets of 4 x 8 plywood. And BTW, you will love the boat!  Mine is almost done after working on her for two years!

The Peeler is 53 in. max from chine to chine. It flares out from there but you can raise the bunks to get more clearence.

Thanks very much for the input.  After speaking with John at CLC, I have decided on the Load Rite 16-1200.  I was concerned about the 53" chine to chine width but understand that the boat sits above the fenders.  I hope that 2 years in not the normal build time, SurferBill.  I plan on a "sprint build" so that I can be on the water in a few months.

Thanks again,

Jack 

Jack,

The two of us built our Peeler in one calendar year --- end of July through end of July.  It only took that long because our New England barn was not heated.  Didn't do much between the middle of October through the middle of April.

Love the boat and really liked CLC, the kit, and the manual.

Cheers!

I think the smaller trailer is a great choice.  You should be able to build the boat pretty fast, the kit goes together really nice. This is my fifth CLC kit and they have perfected it!  The trickiest part is fitting the seats in.  It has taken me a long time because I work full time, surf whenever there are waves, fish when the Stripers are running, travel a ton, injuries, etc.  any excuse!  lol!  I am in the process of finishing now, many coats of varnish and I am ready to order my motor.  Launch day will be on or about March 1st.  First day of Striper season here.

Surfer Bill, I appreciate all the input.  Sounds like you have a well rounded life.  I would be interested in what outboard you chose.  I will be facing the same decision in a few months.  Did you put in a center console?

Jack

Jack, I am going with a Honda 15 with power tilt, electric start.  I decided to do a console after going back and forth with it for months, I am really happy that I went with one.  I got Johns plans for the console before they did the kit option.  I modified it a little bit though.  Not quite as tall and the top is angled back different and I lengthened the base to tie into the middle bulkhead.  Made the front seat a tad smaller too.  I used solid Fijian mahogany for the seat, seat back, and console top.  It came out really pretty.  I'm going with UFlex steering and either Uflex or Honda controls.  Havent decided yet.  We have a Honda dealer pretty close by and I decided to go with them instead of Yamaha.  I think all the low horsepower motors are all pretty much the same though.  Suzuki, Mercury, Tohatsu are all good.  My neighbor owns a Seatow franchise and runs all of his boats with Hondas.  You have a huge dealer near you in Richmond right?  Eds?  They have really good prices.  Honda requires that the dealer installs all the motors I guess for warranty purposes.   Not sure about the other brands.  If you are on facebook, my build photos are all there.  Bill Caldwell.  or you can email me at bill.caldwell99@yahoo  if you have any questions.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.