Sanding Between Epoxy Coats

Hello all,

I am about to apply x 3 coats of epoxy to seal the hull of my Dory. Do I need to sand between coats ?

Many thanks.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sanding Between Epoxy Coats

Hi Sawfish,

No need to sand between coats if the time between coats is 24 hours or so. Some info I've read suggests 36-72 hour gap is okay but the Epoxy Genius from "a leading name in epoxy" says 24 hours is better.

The idea is, you want the next coat to go on prior to a full cure of the underling layer. This forms a chemical bond between the two (or three) layers. If you wait for a full cure you'll need to sand which provides a mechanical bond between layers.

When I'm putting down layers I shoot for a second layer to go on just after the first gets stiff enough to not move around as the next layer goes on. The amount of time it takes to get to this "green" stage varies with ambient temperature and speed of hardener you are using. Getting layers on in the "green" stage also keeps you from having to worry about amine blush, which I won't even go into here ;-)

Very helpful advice. Thanks

Anyone point me toward posts on How To roll thin epoxy coats with out runs?

building Noreaster in Nicaragua  

How about blush? I'm useing a local epoxy that bluses like a cheerleader.  What about dry-time betwecoats?  I'm afraid overning might be too long.  I've lived a charmed life and only worked with West, Raka and now Mas.  

Use a plastic bondo spreader to remove the excess rolled on epoxy.

I would wait a few days and sand off the amine blush. It might not hurt anything but you are yoo far along to risk it. If I may ask, why did you not use RAKA?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.