Peeler Transom reinforcement

• I'm almost ready for paint on my Peeler and am wondering if I should add any kind of plates or additional strengthening to the Transom at the points of contact of the outboard motor mounts. I'm using a 15 HP Tohatsu and dont want the load of the motor to create indents in the Transom on either side. I've seen some guys put an aluminium plate on the outside - is that necessary?

Thanks Bern.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Transom reinforcement

If I remember correctly, it is recommended that any motor over 8 hp be thru-bolted.  I would be nervous just clamping a 15 hp motor.  On my Peeler, the Yamaha dealer used plates on the inside and outside when he thru-bolted my 9.9 hp to the transom.

Have fun, the Peeler Skiff is a great boat for knocking about in!

Thanks for the response, makes a lot of sense to bolt on and I'm thinking that will give a comfort level for trailering as well;  Can't wait to get her in the water after 12 months on the production line......Cheers, Bern.

I'm getting a 9.9 for my Peeler in the spring. Are you coating the transom bolt holes with epoxy or just silicone caulk?  What kind of bolts do they use, lock nuts? Thanks, anxious to see photos of your finished project.  

Klitz,

I had the Yamaha dealer mount the motor, so I didn't have the opportunity to line the bolt holes with epoxy.  The dealer knew what he was doing and the plates and bolts are thoroughly bedded in silicone caulk.

The 9.9 hp Yamaha was a good choice.  I use my Peeler in saltwater and don't have too much enthusiasm for planing from wave crest to wave crest.  She moves right along with 4 adults and their gear without beating us to death.  I couldn't be more pleased with the boat.

For those in Rhode Island or southeastern Massachusetts, I can highly recommend Twin Cities Marine in Central Falls, RI.

Cheers,

Dick

Klitz,

Here's pictures of the finished boat:

http://www.clcboats.com/images/photos/boats/peeler/2014/peeler-abouttime--dick-dowdell.jpg

Cheers, Dick

don't know if tipping varnish is a good idea in my experience. Once a coat has been flowed on into the previous wet edge (key word is "flowed" and not brushed) it should be left alone. Surface bubbles in epoxy can be removed by going over with a hair dryer on low setting but I don't think you would want to stir up the air that much with varnish.  Maybe a puff of breath would help?  If you have a really clean area where you are varnishing maybe a pass with a dryer might help.  You could try it on a scra

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.