opti rig for northeaster dory

Am considering an optimist sail rig for my notheaster dory. The idea being a very lightweight, easily struck (from onboard) sail spars and rig that would sacrifice performance for no worries sailing in  moderate winds. An OK idea?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: opti rig for northeaster dory

Dave,

An Opti sail is really small - 35 sq ft. The CLC dory page says 68 sq ft of sail. I think you will be really disappionted in the opti sail's lack of power to push the dory around in moderate winds. Even pushing a 75lb opti with a 75lb occupant - an Opti is still a slow vesel. I would advise a bigger rig.

Joel 

VERRY SMALL !!!! I know of lug sails up to 89 sf used on NE dorys. SEEYA Jack   

I think the small size of the sail will cause a number of problems with handling since the Center of Gravity, Center of Effort, and Center of Resistance might not align properly. Many boats have sails specifically designed for the boat to provide maximum effeciency.

OK, the opti rig is small for a NE dory. What is a reasonable lightweight alternative to the specified lug rig?  I have one of those in hand with a poly sail. But the whole rig is too heavy to easily strike from the boat while sailing--given that I am at 77 years and while in reasonable shape would prefer to manage a much lighter set up--at a reasonable cost. I could work out something with a carbon fiber mast and boom/sprit, but that would be way too costly. So...suggestions welcome.

There's a tradition in rowing craft of so-called "downwind" rigs:  just something simple that you can throw up to coast back home, downwind.  In that light, a second-hand Opti rig would do fine.  So would a big golf umbrella.  I've had a few rowing boats with a "downwind" rig.  Rowing upwind for an hour or two, then gliding home under sail, is a pleasant way to pass an afternoon.

There wouldn't be any need to install the Northeaster Dory's daggerboard, as it would be of zero use with such a small sail. You're going to sail downwind or maybe up to a broad reach, that's it.  

Making a sailboat sail upwind has many things in common with the mechanics of an airplane.  Thrust and lift need to exceed drag or the plane doesn't fly, or the boat won't sail upwind.  An Opti sail just won't generate enough flow over the daggerboard to overcome the windage (drag) of the hull to power you upwind.  

So as long as you know what you're getting, a small sail is fine.

Thanks, John, for your comments. Here in St. Michaels a yacht club has a children's sailing program wih optis. I thought maybe I could swap with them: get an older rig and give them a new one. Benefits to both. If I'm not satisfied with the opti, I can give it back to the program. I had in a moment of thinking about geting two opti rigs and setting up a schoonyawlketcher rig. That madness has passed. Maybe I could fool around some more and set up my MIll Creek 13 to accept the opti rig  Anyway, experimenting is fun no matter theoutcome.

Another possibility is a Balogh HP Sport 36, a "batwing" sail and rig which is light, reefiable, and can be struck from the cockpit. Might also work on my Mill Creek 13. This, I think, is a better choice than an Opti rig. Anyone with experience with Balogh sails?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.