Wood Duck Htbrid Cockpit Apron

I am building a Wood Duck 12 Hybrid. The hull is finished, the deck forms are in place and I am ready to start adding strips to the deck. The instructions show the strips butting up to the cockpit apron, and they talk about about matching the tops of the strips to the top of the apron. But, I can find nothing about how the strips at attached to the apron at this point. Later, they talk about how this joint will be made stronger by the fiberglassing of the deck. But, what do I do to hold it in place until glassing the deck. Am I missing something quite obvious?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck Htbrid Cockpit Apron

Just a dab of the same yellow glue you use to hold the strips together is all that you need where the strips butt up against the plywood cockpit apron.  I know it doesn't seem like enough, but it always works.  

Wood Duck Hybrid Kayak Strip Planked Deck Construction

Also in the process of building a wd hybrid 12, you will be suprised as to how well it holds, I used titebond 3 for the entire deck

Glad to see I am not the only one with this question.    The answer above suggests that each of the strips must be cut to match the curves of the cockpit apron.  Seems simple enough for the ones in back (and a bit more involved for the ones in front), but any tips on how to cut the strips that run longitudinally along the apron?

KR

As the strips becomes more oblique to the apron, the cuts are longer and hence more difficult.  as far as technique, i scribe the desired cut with a pencil and cut a bit proud and sand it/or small block plane it to final shape being careful to do a little work, test, and repeat until i get it where it needs to be.

i just try to stay patient and recognize certain pieces are going to be more challenging and require a bit more care and work to get right.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.