Graphics under glass question?

I put a silk ribbon on my side, under the glass and it turned out great, now I want to add a name and perhaps a little picture on my deck before I glass that, I don't think I have the talent to lay it out in silk so I think I will have to paint it or something else.  What would be a good way to put this on the deck so that the resin will not bleed the color, or is that even an issue.  If it isn't, I could probably just print my picture on the computer and then hand paint the name.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Graphics under glass question?

Decoupage...Print your graphic on rice paper.  Epoxy over and the rice paper turns clear.  I could send you a sample if you like.  The paper is cheap.  I think it is the perfect way to go for what you want.  Below is a keyboard tray I made for our club pc.  Club burgee on tray.

Kim

Club burgee decoupage on keyboard tray

Do a test run on your printer first.  Not sure but I believe some printers will bleed.  My laser jet won't.

Kim

Thanks so much for your suggestion.  I did print a test picture on regular paper and did a test run, it turned out pretty good and I am sure that the rice paper will be even better.  Gonna get some and play with it this weekend.

If rice paper is hard to find, just use sewing pattern paper.  Cut out an area of the pattern that is blank and tape it (all edges) to a blank piece of regular paper.  Run the through your printer (laser)...resulting image can be applied under fiberglass without fear of running and background paper completely disappears.Decal

Forgot to mention....if the pattern paper is crinkly, just iron it with a tea towel over top...it smooths right out....

Chris

(0 0)
---ooO-(_)-Ooo---

Do you put the rice paper on a thin coat of resin and then cover it with resin or wait for this to go off then add another coat?

I'm worried that the paper will be distorted by the squigee if it is all done in one go.

Ian

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.