Inner rail on Skerry

I've seen photos of this feature which looks pleasing and functional, but nothing showing detail, especially how the rail ties into the breasthooks so that it flows in an aesthetically pleasing manner as well.

Any photos or ideas?

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Inner rail on Skerry

If you are talking about the split rails with spacers between the problem is that because of the flare in the sides of the boat, the inner rails will be higher than the breast hook supplied with the kit  Two solutions are to make your own parts with an arch so the inner rails are on the same plane as that surface or do as I did because I'm basically lazy, and plane down the inner rails so the surfaces match.  Hope this link works.  (the two separate lines are all one link so you ha pie to copy it all and paste into your browser)  http://s1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/wing15601/action=view&current

=2c0eb73f5cd58edae3909744d9ede5bc_zps4537f47a.jpg&evt=user_media_share

Maybe this will work.  

http://s1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/wing15601/?action=view¤t=2c0eb73f5cd58edae3909744d9ede5bc_zps4537f47a.jpg&evt=user_media_share

Thanks a bunch!  Got the photos -- exactly what I was looking for.  Looks like nice work you are doing. Are you currently buiilding or have you finished?  I'd enjoy seeing finished photos if you have finished. Your idea of planing down the inner rail sounds like the way to go. 

Did you arrange the spacers so that a surface would be available at the right locations to mount your oarlocks on top of the split rails?

Appreciate your help!  

I was going to use risers for the oarlocks but thought I would prefer the flat surface of the rails without the bumps of the risers.  I needed more wood in the area of the oarlocks than one spacer the width I used and a longer spacer would have been a pain to fit on the hull curvature (lazy) so I used two spacers butted together with the joint where the hole for the oarlock needed to be.  It seems to have worked out but I haven't had the boat in the water yet so I don't know how it will row.  I'm in Michigan and the boat is in Florida so I probably won't get it in the water till Feb. or March  

http://s1341.photobucket.com/albums/o759/wing15601/?action=view¤t=d41a248b6b285b2e436db6b5c9fb704e_zpsd7cb71fd.jpg&evt=user_media_share

Another good idea.  I will keep it in mind.   

I am posting a link to abunch of pictures of my Skerry build.  The pictures show the complete build.  You will find several pictures of how I did the open gunwale on my boat

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100988086150537244322/albums/5373173082931181633?authkey=CJ_DiJ6SgM3T2QE   

Marlinspike,,, your boat is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing your excellent craftmanship.  Ken.   

Wow, Jackie M.  Now I'm embarrassed. 

Thanks for posting Jackie.  Beautiful workmanship and many ideas to ponder as I continue my build.   Great response to my question about inner rails on Skerry and a totally unexpected approach with a most enviable outcome!

Here's another photo journal you can browse...it's mostly captioined..

https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE&feat=directlink

I did the inner rails, thru-mounted oar locks, varied length spacers, and no risers.  Rowed it since building and am glad I did not add risers.

I am SO glad I added the inner rails!!

By the way, I used a portalign to drill the oar lock holes, slightly bigger than the oar lock OD, and applied epoxy with my gloved finger inside the hole...did not try to drill, fill, drill...I received advice to do it that way, and a hole to do drill, fill, drill would have cut thru the hull panel.

Curt

817/456-2878

I see how you accomplished your rail install, Moonchaser. You put both mahogany strips on the outside of the hull then the spacers and another rail on the inside. I did what Marlinspike did and cut a grove on the outside rail so it would cover the plywood edge of the boat, then spacers and the second rail on the inside. Both if you have done beautiful work. 

I REALLY like the floorboards!   Both of you have done a sweet job of installing the inner rails.  Very nice, gentlemen.  Jackie, the way you did your mast partner is making me re-think the possibility of adding a small mizzen to the boat.  It's not likely that I'll do it, but I've been toying with the idea and your setup would work just great.

Marlinspike, your interpretation of the Skerry build is exquisite and spectacular!

No amateur boat builder you are!!! - Bravo!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.