oar collars

I have closed oarlocks and plastic oar collars for my Skerry. Thinking about placing the oars in the oarlocks, then sliding the collars down the oar, fat side to the handle, essentially locking the oars and oarlocks together. Would prevent losing the oarlocks, ever. Good or bad idea?

thanks,  Bob

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: oar collars

That's how the round oar locks are used.  Advantage is the oar doesn't fall out of the oarlock.   Disadvantage is if you have more that one boat and the oarlock base has a different sized hole.  I used the round ones for my Skerry and I have a piece of line running through the hole in the pin in the oarlock up to the ring to keep it from coming out of the base. I have the same kind of line setup on the horned oarlocks forward in the boat and I can store my oars into them and they're out of the way and secure.  

RE: oar collars

to secure oar locks in boat I found a set of brass chains from Hamilton marine (on line) that are purpose made for this task. very cheap too. about 10 bucks

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/oarlock-safety-chains-brass-pair-141636/4,9213.html

David

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.