Peeler fishing rod holders for trolling ideas?

Anybody have any ideas for nice rod holders for trolling from the Peeler?  Center console is in and I need to accessorize my interior before finishing.  I dont want to use bulky after market rod holders.  need to build something in.  the best thing I can come up with is adding a wooden nice solid base near the inwales and bolting in a Scotty base. They will be super functional with all the adjustments  but they are pretty damn ugly and plastic.  I want something that is out of the way when not in use and really clean looking.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler fishing rod holders for trolling ideas?

Could an oar lock with safety pin be used for the removable part? You could use 2 if you didn't want the swivel action and have matching mounts port and starboard. They have brass and bronze lock fittings. The male part would have to be modified to fit your wood rod holder base or just use the female part of the oar lock and make your own pins. Just some thoughts, good luck.   

I'd mount stainless holders to the transom with and outward angle to widen the spread.  I've also trolled hand line from a cleat screwed to the motor housing. (note hand line 550 cord with mono leader). If you want there are stainless and plastic holders that would mount recessed in that back deck/seat. A good set of kayak recessed holders are tough and not much shows.

http://www.westmarine.com/search?text=rod+holders

I suggest the side mount rod holder for  surface mount transom.

The flush mount for seat install.

Thanks for the feedback!  West Marine.com has just about everything!  Grumpy- I'm thinking of building a nice mahagony rod rack for the transom for storage.  Have to see after I installl the motor.  I want to troll with the rods next to the helm within reach.  Now I'm thinking Scottie's attached to the center bulkhead or a few inches aft.  They give total flexibility with angles etc.   the flush mounts in the side center seat almost works but the inwales would get in the way of the reel and rod I think.  Haven't ruled that out yet though.  A handline?  Now that is fishing!

Here's a modification I made to the quarterknees of my Peeler for rod and net holders.

Also helps when tying up at the dock.

oh yes, Vtboater!  I remember this.  Do you have another ring to hold the butt end, maybe on the seat?  I could do something similar just in front of the middle seat, built out a block of Mahogany and cut out the ring.  Do one just under the inwale and another about 7 inches below and a littler further out for the angle.  Thanks!  You have me thinking!

Surferbill have any pics or thoughts on this project?  Finishing my peeler within the next few months and would love to build something in

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.