Seeking Shop Space and Hands-On Help: Paoli PA

I want to build the vaka for this: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/02/articles/p5/ but need heated space and somebody who knows what they are doing to guide me.

Hourly rates?   Your call... but experience in stitch-and-glue is a must because the consensus I have so far is that those plans are sketchy at best.

The plan is to get the vaka assembled to the point where it is stable and then take it home to glass/finish in my back yard.

Or, maybe, to glass it in the shop - depending on how much the shop time costs.

Pete Cresswell

[email protected]

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Seeking Shop Space and Hands-On Help: Paoli PA

Perhaps location would be important to your request? It is a big country.

Hey Grumpy,

His location is in the subject - Paoli, Pennsylvania. It's at 40°02′27″N 75°29′24″W  if you want to get really precise. :-)

Doc

Oh.............. Didn't realize that was a place.

I don't know, Pete, this boat seems to be sort of theoretical and not really tried and true. It looks like it was built of cheap plywood which will not stand the test of time and even after it was built it was found to need more internal support. I'll bet it wasn't tested very thoroughly. We're I in your shoes I would consider the following:   Full size plans and manual for a Sassafras 16 is about $99.00. The plans cost for the canoe and kayak sailing rig is about $60.00.  You don't have to build both at once and when people see that canoe they'll probably offer the use of their garage just to get to see you build the sailing rig. The canoe and sailing kit have been built many times and used so much there are no more bugs to be worked out. The knowledge of everyone at CLC is always available whenever you need it and the members of this site have a wealth of knowledge that can't be found anywhere else when it comes to stitch and glue boats.  With proper maintenance this canoe and sail rig will outlive your grand children. As far as a place to build, have you looked into one of those storage places that have garage sized space for about $99 a month?  At least that was the price in Florida about 2 years ago.  The question you have to ask is, can you post a question somewhere and have the boat designer answer your question?  You can at CLC.  

>this boat seems to be sort of theoretical and not really tried and true.

The design is over 10 years old and it was built 5 or six times in Europe.  One guy used 5mm Okume; but what looks like the most highly-developed iteration uses 4mm Okume.

At least two of the iterations seem to work pretty well, but the consensus of people who know who have looked at the plans is that they need work. Even I can see that: missing details... and, as they say, "The devil is in the details".

Sassafras is fine, but I am specifically looking for a shunting proa...

As far as life of the craft goes, all it has to do is outlast me - and that's not as long a time as for most builders.

CLC's Outrigger Junior calls out to me.... but it's a tacker not a shunter.

I don't have any insight to the VAKA design, but my question is why specifically a shunting proa? Compared to the Outrigger Jr., seems like the main difference is the three point turn to keep the ama to windward. JRC

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.