wood duck 12

I AM 6' 200 LB. WHAT SIZE PADDLE WILL I NEED ON A WOOD DUCK 12 ?

THANKS STEVE

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: wood duck 12

Is your height in your legs or in your torso? Or evenly divided?

Laszlo 

Also the ducks are recreational boats. Meaning that they are wider than touring sea kayaks. You will be inclined to bust your knuckles on the coaming, if your paddle is too short. You will want a slightly longer paddle than for a long skinny boat.

Your typical long paddle is 240 cm, that is what you most likely want.  Weight has nothing to do with it.  I have used both 240 & 230 cm on my WD 12 but the 240 cm works better in my opinion.  I just wish I could get out more.  Hard to get my kids to go or find the time, and I don't want to go alone.  

240cm? 7ft 4in?

Right at it. 

I have a recreational kayak that is nearly identical in length and beam, and I am 6'1". We have 220, 230 and 240cm paddles around for various people and boats, and the 240cm paddle has by far worked best for me.

Just finished my WD 12 this summer and still working out paddles.  I am about same height.  I had a nice 240cm wood paddle (grey owl sirroco) but it felt too long and while the ferrule was carbon fibre it did not have a smooth join to the wood shaft and can be a problem for chafing on your hands. I got a deal on a used very light carbon fibre Werner 230cm and so have had a chance to compare a bit. The 240cm wood with a little broader blade was really nice for cruising but felt awkward in closer waters where I wanted more manueverablity. The 230 Werner is nice and light but found not quite as efficient when cruising due to the shorter length and narrower blade profile. So conclusion to date: depends on the kind of paddling you intend to do. 240 is better for cruising, but the 230 is a little easier to manage if you are in small rivers or poking about more. I think I will be going back to a 240cm wood (grey owl mistral) with a full fibreglass shaft. Will probably sell the Werner and get a cheaper 230 cm fibreglass for use when I am doing rivers etc.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.