wood duck 12

1.WOULDN'T IT BE EASYER TO FILLET AND TAPE THE HULL-TO-DECK JOINT BEFORE INSTALLING THE HATCH SILL ASSEMBLY(LARGER OPENING TO WORK IN) 2.IS IT NECESSARY TO APPLY THE FIBERGLASS TAPE ON THE FILLET JOINT'S BEFOR THEY HAVE CURED ? I WOULD LIKE TO SAND THE FILLET JOINTS SMOOOTH BEFORE APPLYING THE TAPE.

GETTING READY TO START MY BUILD...STEVE

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: wood duck 12

all good questions.

with respect to number 1, the order of sill vs hatch assembly.  i see no problem in changing the order of these steps as as long as you ensure that the fillet/glass work joining the hull/deck will stay clear of the area of the hatch work.   areas to be protected should be masked off with tape to ensure they are respected and to make it easier to clear/clean any errant epoxy.  

in many cases on most of these designs, there are particular steps that can be re-arranged.  you just need to ensure you think it forward properly such that there is no un-anticipated consequences.  sometimes, it is not obvious what that conflict will be.  i would see if any other wood duck builders chime in as i have not made this particular swap.

on the fillet joints and sanding the fillet before glassing.  for me, in a word, "don't".  trying to sand a hardened fillet smooth is a very very difficult endeavor.   wood-flour thickened epoxy is very durable.   it is much easier to get a smooth finish by laying the glass on a 'gummy', partially cured fillet than on a hardened fillet.  the fillet is still soft enough to allow the glass to be gently pushed into it creating a very nice, clean finish with voids and air bubble.  if, while it is still gummy, it is not perfectly smooth anyway, working the glass into it while it is still gummy will smooth it easier than any sanding job.

howard

RE: wood duck 12

#1 That is the way I do things. I also use left over epoxy/wood flour from other parts of the build to glue the spacer to the sill beforehand as well. Just make sure to sand/smooth things out before gluing them in. There is not alot of room to move around once they are joined to the deck, and all of the clamps are in the way.

#2 If you are careful (not too big/lumpy) with your tack welds, you will be able to make nice smooth fillets. I don't even wait for them to get gummy. Fillet, tape, first coat of epoxy back to back to back. Make the stick tools described in the manual.

When you get jammed up drop us a line. Someone will be along to help you.

Check out Lazlo's build. http://morocz.com/BoatBuilding/DuckBuild.htm

good luck, JRC

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.