Gluing a compass mount to a varnished deck

Hello all,

I'm thinking of building myself a compass mount following these directions - http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/fitting_out/compass_mount.html

What I'm curious about is what kind of surface prep is necessary before gluing the mount to the deck?  The deck right now is completely finished, meaning a nice glow from 7 or 8 coats of varnish.  Can I epoxy straight onto the varnish? 

I'm hoping I don't have to sand down to the glass/epoxy before gluing this up...

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Gluing a compass mount to a varnished deck

No.

You do.

:-(

Laszlo

Put down tape around the area where you  will put the mount. Trace the mount onto the tape, cut out the inside and sand, scratch etc the area inside, Glue mount, them remove tape,  Will save time and protect the varnish you already have down.

my 2 cents

If the compass isn't real large, maybe try some industrial self adhesive velcro. Some of the really good velcro is very strong. Also, look into dulling the surface mounting spot and using one of the good 2-way tapes. Just some ideas, good luck.

Another way is to mount the compass in the same manner that I mounted a GPS.  I screwed the GPS mount into a varnished wood piece with holes through it on the sides for the front bungies go through, and thus it is totally removeable.  Mine matches my wood bow and stern carrying handles.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.