Dory Bow Eye

Having built a Northeaster Dory last winter and thoroughly enjoyed it, one of this winter's projects will be to install a bow eye for easier trailering / launching / retrieving.

I have the lug sail setup so didn't drill the hole for the painter.  I'm thinking I'll put the bow eye in about the same location along with a block on the inside of the bow to reinforce and distribute the stress.

I was curious if anyone had any advice on this undertaking.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dory Bow Eye

I put the hole in the measured location in case, at a later time, I want to try the sloop rig. I have a line running through it with a knotted loop inside the boat. I use the line to attach to the trailer along with two straps at the frames. The boat is light enough to pull onto the trailer by grabbing the inwales near the bow. If I need to be towed while on the water, I can tie a line from the inboard loop to the mast so the strain is not on the bow. 

Barry

It's good to let a few things guide the decision of where to mount the bow eye, like

• Position of winch strap/rope and angle at which it comes off the winch ---on my dory I had to reverse the winch mounting so that it would pull the boat into the trailer roller, not ride up.
  • Low enough that if it ever needs to be towed it wont submarine the  bow, but high enough to tow flat

You may want to ensure your bow is built up in that area with flat spots inside and outside for strength but still able to get a washer and locknut on each stud..by the way, the CLC bow eye is very good one.

Feel free to see my notes on each picture numbers 140 - 146

https://picasaweb.google.com/114717787929554738224/BuildingWoodenBoatCLCNortheasterDory?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKCBzczm_aKs2wE&feat=directlink

Curt

I ultimately did the hole as per sloop rig ( I have a lug too) and put it in the same position. i then put  stanless rings (about 2') both outside and inside attached to a line. with extra line inside to reach to the mast (also to take up strain in the case of a really serious towing situation).

The stanless ring outside is secrued by an anchor hitch with a couple of half hitches. the stanless ring inside is secured by wrapping the line all around the circumfrence and then tied down with a variation of an anchor hitch. that way the inside ring, which is what takes up the pressure from outside, is quite a bit larger than the hole and has the line wrapping cushioning it as well against the hull bow. This way I have a ring inside there ready to be used if there is a need to secure something from that point inside as well.

I thought about the bow eye and even ordered one, but opted for this for the time being at least. I dont think there is a right or wrong on this.

David

This has served me well for many years on my Skerry

David,

Do you use a trailer? (and tie the outside ring to tie to a trailer winch?)

However, it also occurs to me that this may not be an appropriate solution with a heavier boat.

Steven

http://www.skerrybuild.com

in response to whether I use a trailer and attach the ring to the trailer winch, yes to both. i cant say i have tons of experience with that yet but I took it on a 600 mile roundtrip a week ago and it was fine. i did use two straps though in additon, one in the back and one just aft of the mast thwart.  the ride was smooth as silk.

David

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.